Spektrum radio compatibility

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1500valk

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello,
I have a Baja 5b on order, and the idea of having a control issue with something that weighs 22 pounds and goes 35+ mph has me a little nervous.
I have looked at the spektrum radio website, and thought I might go with the Spektrum DX3 radio.
I couldn't find a specific answer on their website, so thought I would post it here.
Is this transmitter and receiver compatible with standard servos? Like the servos that the Baja comes with, since I really don't want to buy new servos.
Also, I have heard about some "runaway" issues with the spektrum, anyone having any problems? thanks.

Yes it is compatible..I am running my spec.W/3PK
With the servos that came with the Baja

Also, I have heard about some "runaway" issues with the spektrum, anyone having any problems? thanks.

I have never had any issues..With the spec.You will have a built in fail safe..Just make sure you set it up right.

I think the runaway issues you are referring to may have been with a batch of RX modules that had the antennae lead running over the circuit board causing brief control issues. None of the new ones have this issue and really what happened is it shortened the distance you could go. It really isn't too much to worry about nowadays, though.

I think my mind is pretty well made up, but we will see when I get the car. I just got a $80 3pm futaba off of ebay, so if I can sell that I might get the spektrum. I like the idea of a more "fail proof" radio in a car as large as this. Plus the ability to add telemetry later is icing on the cake. I need to stop at my lhs and see if they have one to look at.

1500valk said:
I think my mind is pretty well made up, but we will see when I get the car. I just got a $80 3pm futaba off of ebay, so if I can sell that I might get the spektrum. I like the idea of a more "fail proof" radio in a car as large as this. Plus the ability to add telemetry later is icing on the cake. I need to stop at my lhs and see if they have one to look at.

I forgot to add.The radio system in the BAJA has a built in fail safe:)

yeah, but if I don't get the spektrum, I will be using my futaba 3pm with a ofna micro failsafe. 27mhz around here is a very crowded frequency, lots of CB radios (major highway 1/4 mile from here, lot's of home units), just lot's of interference. I would prefer 75mhz minimum and a Spektrum with it's 2.4 ghz as the better of the two.

True that Man I here ya.I am that way now also.Thats why I switched every thing to DSM.

My LHS has the dx3 for 199.99 with two rx's and the servos. This seems like a pretty good deal. Most of the ones on the internet are going for $249.

Does your LHS have a website?

Also, do you know what the ratings on the Spectrum servos are? the ones that come with it.