Specktrum Lipos Are They Good

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so when i get my mt10 i want not a traxxas lipo mt10’s can take up to 4s correct if so what specktrum charger and lipo should i get ?
Do you own a spektrum charger?

If not just get a “dumb” battery and charger.

Spektrum battery’s and chargers are very expensive, low quality for what you pay for too.

Do you own a spektrum charger?

If not just get a “dumb” battery and charger.

Spektrum battery’s and chargers are very expensive, low quality for what you pay for too.
ok but i like the smart chargers cause i forget alot so i dont need to worry might just get the tiny usb charger and the 3s

Spektrum lipos are pretty middle of the road. There are several other brand out there that are as good or better for as little as 1/3 of the cost. Liperior being one of the best ones but also CNHL (G+ series not the "Racing" series), Zippy Compact, and Turnigy probably being in the top 4 best bang for the buck lipos.

Theres nothing really "smart" about the spektrum chargers, really all theyve done is integrated the balance lead into the main plug. Its just a convienence thing. Other than that all lipo chargers do basically the same thing other than some have a few extra features like being able to read IRs etc that you dont have to have, its just nice to have.

so when i get my mt10 i want not a traxxas lipo mt10’s can take up to 4s correct if so what specktrum charger and lipo should i get ?
Hey Addict. If you are talking about the Team Associated MT10, it is a 2S platform with a 3S option.

One of the two I have is option upgradable to 4S. Plan was to do some speed runs with it but backed off and settled into a 2S monster truck package. 2S is where the MT10 seems most comfortable for my driving style. If you are going to run 3S and possibly 4S in an MT10, you'll need to change out the AE radio system straight away. The OEM Reedy radio is just not up to the increase in performance of 3S or 4S.

Regarding smart batteries in general and Spektrum specifically. For now I'm staying away from them. They're a bit pricey and I question whether they offer any performance or reliability increase over conventional LiPo batteries. That, and the Spektrum and others are expected to be used as a package with their respective chargers. An added expense that locks one into a specific brand. Not an obligation I'm comfortable with.

Hope this helps. Regards. 'AC'

Hey Addict. If you are talking about the Team Associated MT10, it is a 2S platform with a 3S option.

One of the two I have is option upgradable to 4S. Plan was to do some speed runs with it but backed off and settled into a 2S monster truck package. 2S is where the MT10 seems most comfortable for my driving style. If you are going to run 3S and possibly 4S in an MT10, you'll need to change out the AE radio system straight away. The OEM Reedy radio is just not up to the increase in performance of 3S or 4S.

Regarding smart batteries in general and Spektrum specifically. For now I'm staying away from them. They're a bit pricey and I question whether they offer any performance or reliability increase over conventional LiPo batteries. That, and the Spektrum and others are expected to be used as a package with their respective chargers. An added expense that locks one into a specific brand. Not an obligation I'm comfortable with.

Hope this helps. Regards. 'AC'
ok thanks might just stick with the traxxas 3s for now and yes the team associated mt10

You being young, I have to question myself whether it's a good idea to recommend a LiPo charger. So fill us in. Have you been just using Traxxas smart batteries? Plug and play that is? Are you educated on LiPo's and how to take care of them? If so... I'm impressed. But if not, let us know.

I love my Hota D6 Pro, but there are other good chargers out there with similar features. I just haven't found one cheaper for lack of needing anything else.
Here, watch this... (yes, this is the exact same charger, just different name). Also, in this video, the price is like $150. The link above, you get the same charger for $119

And if you want to learn about LiPo's and chargers, Joshua is a pretty well respected guy in the drone racing world, and he knows his stuff. And he has lots of very useful videos on the subject.

As mentioned, once you get a regular charger, the world of cheaper batteries opens up, and you can get some CNHL or Liperior for a fraction of what the so-called smart batteries cost, and have a better battery to boot.

Last edited:
You being young, I have to question myself whether it's a good idea to recommend a LiPo charger. So fill us in. Have you been just using Traxxas smart batteries? Plug and play that is? Are you educated on LiPo's and how to take care of them? If so... I'm impressed. But if not, let us know.

I love my Hota D6 Pro, but there are other good chargers out there with similar features. I just haven't found one cheaper for lack of needing anything else.
Here, watch this... (yes, this is the exact same charger, just different name). Also, in this video, the price is like $150. The link above, you get the same charger for $119

And if you want to learn about LiPo's and chargers, Joshua is a pretty well respected guy in the drone racing world, and he knows his stuff. And he has lots of very useful videos on the subject.

As mentioned, once you get a regular charger, the world of cheaper batteries opens up, and you can get some CNHL or Liperior for a fraction of what the so-called smart batteries cost, and have a better battery to boot.
i use the traxxas because its plug and play plus not as much of a risk for someone like me thats not 100% educated on lipos i know how to take care of them
but my problem is I'm afraid of burning up a car with $30 lipos

i use the traxxas because its plug and play plus not as much of a risk for someone like me thats not 100% educated on lipos i know how to take care of them
Ok, well, there is a lot to learn about LiPo batteries and charging them, but you have plenty of time for that before you buy your MT10. And I know you probably weren't thinking of getting a $100 charger. But really, there isn't one out there for less money that I would want to have. Especially if you want to get into 4s and bigger packs eventually.

I do however have a SkyRC charger that will charge 2s and 3s packs just fine. It would be a little slow, but I used it for awhile with my smaller drone batteries, and for a bit with regular 2S packs when I got back into surface RC. I could send it to you for free. Just PM me your address if you want it. I could even throw in some adaptor cables for various connector types if I can find them.

Ok, well, there is a lot to learn about LiPo batteries and charging them, but you have plenty of time for that before you buy your MT10. And I know you probably weren't thinking of getting a $100 charger. But really, there isn't one out there for less money that I would want to have. Especially if you want to get into 4s and bigger packs eventually.

I do however have a SkyRC charger that will charge 2s and 3s packs just fine. It would be a little slow, but I used it for awhile with my smaller drone batteries, and for a bit with regular 2S packs when I got back into surface RC. I could send it to you for free. Just PM me your address if you want it. I could even throw in some adaptor cables for various connector types if I can find them.
ok thanks I'm not ready for the charger yet but will pm you when