Some simple questions.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My boy got a Traxxas Grave Digger last Christmas. Last spring he wanted to make it 4wd. I went looking for the parts and found that mini e revo front drive worked to get the 4wd going. Now he wants to go brushless, upgrade the suspension and and generally make it faster, stronger and more fun.
Is it actually a mini revo or did I just get lucky with the front drive? Being a nitro guy I also need help picking a brushless for it. Will the stock drive shafts hold up for a brushless motor or do I need to get cvd shafts?
Any info would be great. He is using his own money, and that is not a lot. So this will be slow going but he wants to do it.
Thank You all, Shaun and Little Jon.

The VXL3s is what is standard in the mERV (1/16th eRevo) and Traxxas offers it as an upgrade for a reduced price through their "Power Up" program. The only suspension upgrade that I used on my mERV was the upgrade to the tIN shocks. I run 3s LiPo on my mERV and have never had to replace them even under the extreme stress of 3s. The only other upgrades on mine are the center diff (which helps keep the front end on the ground under hard acceleration with the 3s) and RPM arms and knuckles to give it a bit more strength.

The VXL3s is what is standard in the mERV (1/16th eRevo) and Traxxas offers it as an upgrade for a reduced price through their "Power Up" program. The only suspension upgrade that I used on my mERV was the upgrade to the tIN shocks. I run 3s LiPo on my mERV and have never had to replace them even under the extreme stress of 3s. The only other upgrades on mine are the center diff (which helps keep the front end on the ground under hard acceleration with the 3s) and RPM arms and knuckles to give it a bit more strength.
Is the 1:16 grave digger a MERV? The 1:10 is a 2WD stampede...If it is a mini 'Pede, Id sure like to see how you converted it to 4WD using MERV parts. Although at that scale I'm not sure that all the kits arent built on the same exact chassis. Hell the 1:10s almost are.

Sorry, I will make sure to get a lashing for that. LOL. I just did a search for pictures that matched what he has. Shaun

Dont mind Rolex...he forgot to take his meds again...Holy Crap there is an other RC forum out there!!! The sky is falling!! We can't let this information get out! We have to delete all of Reddogs posts and soemones gonna have to take him out, then bury him in the desert so we can keep this info contained!

Yeah, it's a mERV, to get back to the original topic.

Fine Hamz...just stop Rolex and I from derailing the thread o_O

Id personally look at putting a Castle Sidewinder ESC and either the matching 4600kv or 5700kv motors...just to stay on topic :p

The Castle and either of those is overkill on a mERV. The Sidewinder 3 and a 4600kV tossed my SCX-10/JK around like it was no big deal and it is NOT a lightweight rig like the mERV..

The VXL 380 is a quick little motor, but if you want something not a whole lot bigger, but with massive get up and go, I'd go with something from this page: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/neumotors/nm1100.html

As soon as I finally kill the VXL3m/VXL 380 combo in my MERV I'll be on the hunt for an ESC to pair to my 1112/Y1.

The 1107-1110 series motors will allow you to use the VXL 380 motor mount, the 1112-1115 series will require the Titan 550 brushed motor mount, or the Tenbol motor mount, or just taller gearing to move the can away from the rear upper shock bracket. My choice in rpm/v would be around 3000-3500 range, that would/should give you close to the speed of the VXL 3500, but in a smaller lighter package.

Last edited:
I dont think his son is going to be looking at put custom made motors in his MERV. He can get a whole Castle combo cheaper than what one Neu motor costs. And you're probably right Hamz, a Castle setup is probably a little bit overkill and a "power up" set up would probably be a little bit cheaper but those VXL electronics arent well known for holding up over time. I mean theyre ok dont get me wrong but if I was gonna try to find a "budget" alternative to a VXL Id probably look at gettign a Hobbywing ESC/Motor combo. Just my .02

I've had no problems with the VXL running on the ragged edge with a 3s LiPo, so NiMH or 2s LiPo should be fine. I'd be more cautious with the Hobby Wing just because Traxxas has a better warranty. They will replace the electronics no matter what, no matter when for a small fee after the initial warranty period is over.

What he had was a brushed motor. He is looking at upgrading to brushless and has spent $25 so far for an upgrade tranny and heat sink set. He is looking at a setup that the LHS has in stock, not sure of the brand. He only has around $125 to work with right now, but he is doing extra chores to get a few more bucks to spend on the project.

To make it work, you'd need a big block conversion and replacement half-shafts and CVDs. The VXL3 won't need them.

I thought the MERV used the 1/10 3500kv motor that like the Rustler VXL and other smaller 1/10 scale Traxxas kits use?

The mERV uses a 380 motor where the 1/10 scale use a 450/550.

Oh my bad...for some reason I was under the impression that it used the same 540 sized motor that the 1/10 scales use.

Ok I deleted my post because it was based on bad info. I guess just go with the stock 1/16 brushless electronics. I dont really do minis myself so I dont know what else to recommend.

Last edited:
You can use the 540 sized stuff with a big block kit. You just have to strengthen the entire drive line. The CC setup you had mentioned in your deleted post @Greywolf74, is what I run in my SCX-10 and know it's a lot more power than is really necessary especially for a younger, less experienced driver.

Back