Soldering Irons

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
Figured I would start off this new section talking about soldering irons and how important it is to have a good one. You don't have to spend a fortune on one, but I believe our particular hobby requires more than just a little pencil type iron. Reason being, you need an iron that will get HOT so you can touch and go without having to hold the iron on the piece forever to get it hot enough to melt the solder. As many of you have probably figured out, the heat spreads quickly, especially when you're holding a wire with your hand. :mad: (I don't advocate holding items with your hand...be smart and use pliers).

You can take care of this issue by using a more powerful iron that will melt the solder quicker to have you in and out before the heat has a chance to spread to your fingers or any delicate electronics. It's especially important for people building battery packs (not as prevalent now with the new lipo packs out that replace NiMh) as the heat spreads very quickly and can damage a battery in just a few seconds. I've never gotten a board or battery hot enough to damage anything, but I've known people who have and they've had to replace an entire esc because they got it too hot when soldering on motor leads.

My personal iron is a Hakko 936, pretty much the industry standard for most people in R/C. I got mine through the local hobby shop (Coyote) here in Kentucky and it came with an upgrade rc vinyl wrap, which adds to the looks of the iron. They usually retail around $80-90, but I've seen them used for as little as $50.
hak936rcg.jpg

Mine is the green flames, but you can get them in other colors like red, orange, and blue. Here's what the description says at amainhobbies.com ...
The Hakko 936 is an inexpensive, fully temperature adjustable soldering station that is great for R/C use and can solder anything you would ever need to solder, and comes up to temperature in 30 seconds! It is perfect for soldering Sub-C car battery packs, speed control connections, motor connections, receiver packs or even fine electronics repair work. This is the version that comes with the large Hakko 908 soldering iron.
NOTE: The skin comes as stickers with the soldering iron and is NOT applied as shown in the pictures. You will have to apply the skin yourself.
Features:
Includes Large #908 soldering iron - perfect for R/C hobbies!
Adjustable temperature control with lock/set screw
Temperature range 392°-896°F (200°- 480°C)
Maintains idle temperature within 1.8°F (1°C)
Ceramic heating element and senor insures rapid heat-up temperature (30 seconds) and lightning-fast thermal recovery
Celsius or Fahrenheit temperature setting
Temperature adjusted by simply turning the dial
Slender iron handles are insulated and ergonomic-designed for ease and comfort
Accommodates large, medium or small irons
Wide selection of tips available
Power Consumption 100/110 VAC, 60 Watts

Another option is the Team Checkpoint TC-950, which IMO is a relabeled Hakko 936 (all the exact same specs), and it comes in around $80.
tcpr0950-tow.jpg

FEATURES: Heavy-duty 60 watt design for years of reliable performance
Heats quickly to selected temperature within a range of 392°-896°F
and holds setting within 1.8°F when idle
Slender insulated handle for comfortable grip
5-year warranty on unit, 1 year warranty on iron handle's electronics
INCLUDES: Soldering iron with stand, sponge, temperature control unit, chisel
point tip, pencil tip, instruction manual and decals

A pricier option, albeit extremely nice, is the new LRP Soldering Station. It comes in around $200-220 at most places.
lascc6580.jpg

FEATURES: Microprocessor controlled, fully digital for fast response
temperature and power control
90W power rating and 400kHz electromagnetic heating element for
perfect solder joints on batteries, motors, speed controls and
more.
Magnetic AutoSleep/AutoWakeUp function for increased tip life
Painted metal base with integrated storage for replacement tips
Handle with foam rubber grip
5mm and 1.2mm tips, tips can be replaced in seconds without tools
Large multifunction display with blue backlight
Worldwide operation, 100-240VAC input range with input cords for
Europe and US/Japan electrical outlets
Ninety day limited waranty (non-European countries only)
INCLUDES: LRP High Power Soldering Station with two power cords, two tips, iron
with rubber grip and power lead, metal base, sponge and instruction
manual

Any of these models will get you a good end result, just the LRP you can see the temp on the display and it has a sleep function, neither of which I deem extremely important. I usually set the temp on my Hakko somewhere around 850-860 degrees, and it works perfectly. I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

That first one is pimped out! Is a really nice station like that really worth the extra cash if you only solder occasionally and mainly deans or motor wires?

I use the Hakko 928 dual iron station. Unfortunitely when I got it, the guy I got it from only had one of the irons. So now I need to try and find another iron for it. The ones I have found cost as much as that first station Boogie posted complete, so I just can't justify the expense since I only use one iron at a time anyway. But a good iron is very important. I use to use a cheap pencil iron and really struggled with getting good solder joints, with my 928 soldering is no longer a chore.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?PID=1247&Page=1

928.jpg

That first one is pimped out! Is a really nice station like that really worth the extra cash if you only solder occasionally and mainly deans or motor wires?

In all honesty.. I think it is very worth it. I have the Hakko 936 also and wouldn't trade it for anything :) When I first got into this hobby I was just using a cheapie $15 radio shack iron. It would take me forever just to get a joint soldered, only to have the solder break on me while I least expected it. Since I've gone with a high quality iron, I've not had a single issue with a joint since then. Trust me, it really really is worth it..

I have been using a Hakko 936 for a couple of years now.

It is always best to have the right tool for the job and the Hakko fits the bill.

Ehhh, I think it is. For one, even if you're soldering deans, if you hold the iron on too long you can melt the plastic and cause the connectors to loosen up. Another is you really do need a hot iron to solder the best joint. If you don't get both components of what you're needing to solder hot enough, it can cause what they call a "cold solder point" or "cold solder joint", which was a big issue with some lipo batteries recently. The tabs that were soldered onto the packs weren't done correctly and broke loose.
It may not make up for the cost instantly or anything, but it makes things a lot easier on you in the long run. Yeah you could spend $80-90 on something else like a battery, motor, or put it towards a new rig altogether, but it's cheap insurance against breakdowns on the track or wherever and it's worth it not to be annoyed by having to resolder stuff. I got by for a few months with some cheap pencil torch, but I found myself having to redo a lot of stuff because of cold or dirty solder joints. A good iron will make it easier.

Plus....I mean really, it looks pretty darn cool, like it's tearin' a$$ around the room. Makes people think I really know what I'm doing. :first_place:

Being into Electronics, I have MANY soldering irons, but the one I use 91% of the time it the Nexxtech 100 watt. It is only $26 for it and a 25W pencil iron! And, it takes 13 seconds to heat up. I highly recommend it:thumbup1::thumbup1:.
The only things I don't use it for are delicate or very small circuits.

yeah i had a cheap soldering iron that was like 25$ from sears and it barely got used and crapped out and wouldnt even melt solder...(that thing cause A LOT of stress.)and i slot car race every friday with about 20 other guys and a good soldering iron is a Necessity (spell check). so instead of being cheap i went and got a i think 70w one that was about $80 and it kicks @$$.

If you gotta solder frequently save the stress and spend some money.

Most $20 irons cause stress, but not this one! For delicate projects I use a Much more expensive (and heavily modified) Adjustable stick iron, but I still use the Nexxtech 10 times as much:D

i use a cheapo 30 wat walmart soldering iron. works perfectly fine for me

I am running that Check Point station now and have been for a couple months and its like night and day over the old cheap one I had. I couldnt believe how easy it made soldering for me.

The CheckPoint station wins when it comes to "bang for the buck". It costs about $30 less than the Hakko, and is exactly the same piece, minus the graphics. I wish they offered the CheckPoint back when I bought my Hakko, but my Hakko has performed flawlessly for the last year or so. The LRP is very nice, but (IMO) not worth the extra cost over the other 2 mentioned above.

Until you own a "real" solder iron, it is hard to understand the value of it. I firmly believe they are a necessity for RC people. I have actually ruined a brand new ESC because my old cheapo iron didn't get hot fast enough. That was an expensive lesson...

Actually the checkpoint does come with graphics too, or atleast there is a version that does. Mine did, it came with gray and white flames.

Back