SMC battery thread - Get all your questions answered here.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
I am starting this thread for the owner of SMC. His name is Danny and he will be visiting this thread to answer your questions, and provide information. So whether you have questions on what battery would best suit your application, to when the batteries will be in stock next ask them here.

Here is a little info from their website about them. I am going to pass the link to this thread to the owner shortly.

Superior Matching Concepts (SMC) has been a leader in the R/C battery industry for close to 20 years. With numerous IFMAR world championships and national titles under our belt, our track record as both a leader in the field and an innovator in the industry is well known. SMC's philosophy has always been to provide everyone from the competitive R/C racer to the backyard novice the highest quality battery money can buy. We spend countless hours testing on the track and at the shop in an effort to extract the most performance out of our packs. Every step is taken to formulate a battery that not only outperforms our competition, but is durable under even the most demanding conditions.

With the advent of the internet, the whole landscape of our industry has changed dramatically. No longer do racers and enthusiasts simply purchase items from a brick and mortar store. Parts and supplies are ordered from all over the world with a click of the mouse. Competition is fierce and pricing can be extremely competitive. The battery business has been particularly affected by this new way of doing business. Packs are available from China at prices that seem too good to be true. This environment makes it extremely difficult for a small company like SMC to compete selling product through the normal distribution/dealer network. For this reason, we have decided to launch this website as a way for us to counter these companies that seem determined to undermine the industry. We will be introducing all of our batteries, along with some other R/C related items over the next few months, available directly from this site....at amazing prices. So now you will be able to purchase the highest quality SMC packs at incredibly competitive prices and have them shipped directly to you.

Great batteries at a great price!
I've talked to Danny twice when I was having problems with the distributor in Canada responding to my emails. He responded in less then an hour and the Canadian distributor responded less then 15 minutes after that.

I ran a SMC battery in my slash last year, BEST BATTERY I HAVE OWNED, i wish i hadnt let it go when i sold the truck, when i have to buy batteries, it WILL be SMC, the guys i race with spend mondo bux on batteries and dont understand how good these batteries are.

Where are smc batteries produced?

Cool, I'd love to get smc packs after all good reviews i see, but I think UK customs would hold me to ransom, then rob me of my money. sad face:(

anyone use their sensored bl motors? at $50 a piece i might try one out

They are new and most people that have bought them say they are decent. I'm personally waiting until they release a 17.5.

Um, just grabbed a 1/16 slash, just wondering what I should grab for battery cells, I think I've read enough to decide I want lipos? 2s?,......and maybe 3s?

Turns out my cousin also grabbed a MERV, he gave me the option of either the 1/16 slash or the MERV....so now I have an mini e-revo, instead of the slash I ordered.

If nobody has any other suggestions I'm going to place an order for 2 Traxxas 25C 7.4 2s-cell 2200mAh lipo batteries.

Last edited:
What's up with the selection of 2S LiPo packs ? Literally nothing at SMC for shorty packs, or packs with internal connectors (4mm/5mm tubes) 🤷‍♂️ . There is only 11 2S packs to choose from.
1685379683909.png

Oh well.

What's up with the selection of 2S LiPo packs ? Literally nothing at SMC for shorty packs, or packs with internal connectors (4mm/5mm tubes) 🤷‍♂️ . There is only 11 2S packs to choose from.
View attachment 166525
Oh well.
My uncle uses their 4700 shorty packs. I have their 7200 stick packs. Both sre 5mm bullet inboard. Looks like they discontinued all of their 5mm bullet batteries. I found them on beach rcs website and they said discontinued.
We use true spec premium line up of the 5mm packs. All that i could find is the true spec extreme graphene 5mm packs. Which are still discontinued.

My uncle uses their 4700 shorty packs. I have their 7200 stick packs. Both sre 5mm bullet inboard. Looks like they discontinued all of their 5mm bullet batteries. I found them on beach rcs website and they said discontinued.
We use true spec premium line up of the 5mm packs. All that i could find is the true spec extreme graphene 5mm packs. Which are still discontinued.
Pretty much since the beginning of the year I've be checking in every couple weeks with SMC to see if things have changed. I couldn't find any blogs/info/articles stating any issues with them, but went digging again...
1685382417784.png

Go figure. I finally get in the mood to try out a SMC pack,, and then they got nothin'. Most likely by the time Danny gets things sorted out I'll have gone elsewhere. I'll try again next year.

Last edited:
Pretty much since the beginning of the year I've be checking in every couple weeks with SMC to see if things have changed. I couldn't find any blogs/info/articles stating any issues with them, but went digging again...
View attachment 166536
Go figure. I finally get in the mood to try out a SMC pack,, and then they got nothin'. Most likely by the time Danny gets things sorted out I'll have gone elsewhere. I'll try again next year.
can't tell you how me and my uncles packs are as they are getting old. My uncles packs are reaching retirement too. I use Maclan shorties in my buggy. I seen others use trinity, Protek, gensacearespammers redline, CHNL. I got my Maclan packs used. The guy was a old friend of my uncles, he took care of his batteries. Very low and good IR. Now its a ok IR. Spec 13.5 racing. Even mod racing puts a beating on the batteries.