Slash 4x4 vxl axles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James nichols

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So between my son and I weve managed to break 2 stub axles and 1 shaft at the rear diff. And it's been on the pavement for the most part. I'm looking to do upgraded axles all around to prevent this from happening as often. It's a completely stock truck and has broke 3 axles in the last week or so. I'm over it and just want to drive it and not work on it all the time. Any help would be appreciated

What does the kit cost? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars cuz we just mess around the house with it. We don't race or anything like that

$73 per end. I spaghettified several shafts before switching to these. I'm not a racer either. The other thing is to put less voltage to the motor by say going from 3 to 2s. That's what I ended up having to do with my Revo VXL.

MIP X-Duty's are pretty bulletproof. I got tired of blowing them out on my stampede 4x4 vxl when I ran 2S. I put the X-Duty's on and haven't had an issue in over 2 years, one of which has been on 3S. Most of which was with 2.8" trencher tires.

However, the slash runs smaller/lighter wheels/tires, so you may be able to get away with some lighter duty ones like the MIP Race Duty's.

Can find them here:
https://www.miponline.com/Traxxas-1-10-Slash-4x4-6807-6808

$12 cheaper per end vs the x-duty's.

Tekno's are a bit cheaper, but your then locked into using tekno axle carriers:
https://www.teknorc.com/product-vehicle/slash_4x4/

Some also go with traxxas x-01 shafts, not sure what all is entailed though:

What does the kit cost? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars cuz we just mess around the house with it. We don't race or anything like that

Some times you can find them on a auction through E-bay ,I had seen them an was watching some but decided not
to buy them yet ,They where the Traxxas brand ,so Traxxas would be a bit cheaper than the Mips ,the ones that I
was watching ,only sold for about 35 bucks!

My stock ones are still good ,an I have other RC 's to buy for!...:cool:

So between my son and I weve managed to break 2 stub axles and 1 shaft at the rear diff. And it's been on the pavement for the most part. I'm looking to do upgraded axles all around to prevent this from happening as often. It's a completely stock truck and has broke 3 axles in the last week or so. I'm over it and just want to drive it and not work on it all the time. Any help would be appreciated
Tekno steel driveshafts worked for me. They've held up to everything I've been able to throw at it for 6 months. And I use it as a basher.

Thanks for yve advice guys. I just bit the bullet and bought the mips x-duty axles. I found some on amazon that were discounted

Take your time installing them. Getting the rears shimmed properly can be a bit fiddley, but if you don't do it right, they will tighten too much and put a load on the side of the bearings and destroy them fast. I have alloy carriers on mine and I shimmed them so that when I pull/push on the wheel, the bearings are shimmed a hair wider in the middle than the carrier. So when I wrench down the wheel nut, it doesn't slide the hex and smash the bearings.

The MIP's have a slotted steel/aluminum hex vs using a pin and they way they are machined, without proper shimming, then will allow the bearings inside race to be pushed too close to each other while the axle carrier channel holds the outer race further apart. I trashed my first set of bearings in about 5 minutes... then realized my mistake.

Do they come with instructions cuz I've never done it before and don't want to tear anything up. Up until this point I was just slapping stock stuff back in just installing reverse of how it came apart. I didn't even know you had to shim anything

They come with instructions and some spacers. I had aftermarket carriers, so the spacers they included didn't fit quite right and I had to make some shims out of old bearings by dismantling them, taking out the inner race, then grinding it down. Was a pain, but once it was done, I've had zero issues with the axles or bearings.

Seems like they are the way to go. It was them or run a 2s instead of 3s or baby it around I didn't buy it to baby around with lol

Seems like they are the way to go. It was them or run a 2s instead of 3s or baby it around I didn't buy it to baby around with lol

LOL....I know what your talking about ,I remember running 3s for a brief run ,3s tossed that slash around like a rag doll ,
an you will swear that something is bound to break sooner or later!.......?

Well it was 2 stub shafts and 1 shaft right at the diff lol. I replaced the 2 stubshafts and when it broke the 3rd one I was on pavement lol. I immediately made the choice to buy HD axles. We will see if anything else breaks after these are installed

On a 2s I didn't break anything. When I went to 3s is when the carnage started lol

You would think that since it's a 3s model it should be able to handle 3s right out of the box

Back