Issue w/ Slash 4x4 VXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daSNAK3

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So my step son was driving his Slash and it’s barely moving now.. it has been sitting a few weeks, I’m just now getting time to check it out.. full throttle it barely moves. I’m attaching a video.. any guidance would be appreciated.

Slow Slash

So my step son was driving his Slash and it’s barely moving now.. it has been sitting a few weeks, I’m just now getting time to check it out.. full throttle it barely moves. I’m attaching a video.. any guidance would be appreciated.

Slow Slash
Slipper or gear mesh
Maybe a diff gear or something has resistance in the drivetrain

Gear loose or gear mesh is off; remove the cover over the spur/pinion and check the pinion set screw is tight, then the mesh between the gears, use a strip of paper, mash it between the gears and tighten the motor mount, then rotate the gear to remove the paper.

The slipper has a nut and spring holding it and the spur in place, hold the spur and tighten the nut all the way, then back off 1/2 turn.

Hold the wheels off the ground and hit the throttle, if the gears aren't spinning, it's a motor or ESC issue.

I took it all apart, the nut on the slipper was really loose… I tightened it all the way down and backed it off about 1/2 turn.. nothing else looked off or bad, all the gears looked nice. I put it back together and on the first initial hit after putting it back together the car seemed to jump like normal but after that it was slow as balls again.

With truck in the air I feel like the wheels are flying like they should but once the weight is on them it’s slow.

Should I replace the slipper clutch?

Tighten down more on the slipper. If you have it all the way tight and it still won't move like it should then it's time for rebuild of the slipper.

All the throttle ripping with the slipper loose likely glazed the plate in the slipper. The parts are cheap so I'd just replace the slipper.

I think it's hot racing that makes a 'better' slipper assembly with more contact surface if you want to upgrade it.

You also have the option of eliminating the slipper all together with a slipper eliminator. Works well if you play on loose surfaces like dirt or gravel but is harder on the driveline.

Personally, I don't like slippers and I either tighten them down locked or eliminate them all together. Slippers generate heat. Heat at the slipper will destroy the factory motor mount and bearing. If your factory mount is plastic, it won't last long. Instead of a slipper, use trigger control. JMHO

Last edited:
Yea, I’m gonna run to hobby town in the morning and pick up a slipper clutch and hope for the best.

Back