Slash 4x4 Transformation

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKeif

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Introducing my Franken Slash 4x4.

So I decided to put my ERevo roller up for sale or trade and was contacted. I was offered this Slash 4x4 on the trade. Since I have not owned a Slash 4x4 up to this point I went for it.

Here is how it looked when I first received it.

received_381281063575758.jpeg

received_839692603585548.jpeg

I quickly installed my Badlands 3.8 tires on the Slash with 17MM Hex Adapters. I liked the way it handled but it was over heating so I installed the MXL-6s that I was saving from the ERevo into the Slash. After I destroyed the body I duct taped the entire body and installed vents with intentions to only use it for bashing.

20210928_123954.jpg

It stayed that way for about a month or so. But I hated the way it looked and the 17mm Hex Adapters did not offset the vehicle as much as I wanted them to. After thinking about what I wanted to do I came across RC Mods4U on Youtube and new what I had to do.

I started by installing Integy CVDs and 30mm 17mm hex adapters
20211110_153605.jpg

Installed Slipper eliminator, 50t steel spur, Traxxas Hoss front and rear Shock towers and bumpers, moved my RX box, installed the straps from my Mojave to better hold the batteries
20211110_153526.jpg

20211110_153639.jpg

I then installed a Traxxas Maxx Body. I removed the Maxx stickers, duct tape the inside of the body and placed car door trim along the edges after being inspired by RC Body Armor. I love the way it turned out and I only plan to fit a Cush-Drive from an ERevo 2.0 so the slipper eliminator wont kill my drivetrain.
20211110_153831.jpg
20211110_153903.jpg
20211110_153852.jpg

Like the final version. Although I dont care for extensions, the final product looks amazing. Gonna teal your trim tecnique also.

Only thing missing, they used to make xd trackstar fullsize wheels in 3.8 that would look badass.

Like the final version. Although I dont care for extensions, the final product looks amazing. Gonna teal your trim tecnique also.

Only thing missing, they used to make xd trackstar fullsize wheels in 3.8 that would look badass.
I would like a new set of wheels. But these will have to do till after I finish the Mojave and get an Xmaxx

Looks good but just curious, Why the slipper eliminator and what is a cush drive? not familiar with the cush drive.

Cush drives is a drivetrain connection with rubber dampeners between the components, so it isnt a hard, metal on metal connection. The rubber absorbes the initial hit of acceleration and deceleration.

Cush drives is a drivetrain connection with rubber dampeners between the components, so it isnt a hard, metal on metal connection. The rubber absorbes the initial hit of acceleration and deceleration.
Interesting. Who makes the cush drive?

Traxxas I am guessing. They have them in the E Revo and XO-1 from the looks of it. I only heard of cush drives from when my dad had a small engine shop. I can't remember if it was a smowmobile or a motorcycle or what he was working on that had one that the rubber deteriorated in.

Traxxas I am guessing. They have them in the E Revo and XO-1 from the looks of it. I only heard of cush drives from when my dad had a small engine shop. I can't remember if it was a smowmobile or a motorcycle or what he was working on that had one that the rubber deteriorated in.
I can't say that. I can say on a youtube video I saw, current dual sports/ dirtbikes use them. can't remember if it was ktm 500 or yamaha wr450.

https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/7793X

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/E-Revo-VXL-Brushless-86086-4-Transmission-Assembly

I don't know what it was out of. It was like a driveshaft with a connection in it that was totally separated, and the area around the spiders was encased in rubber. He said it was a cushion joint.

Nice transformation. Do you think the extensions will hold up?
I wouldn't send it with them. One wrong landing and I am sure the axle would snap.
Looks good but just curious, Why the slipper eliminator and what is a cush drive? not familiar with the cush drive.
I don't know what it was out of. It was like a driveshaft with a connection in it that was totally separated, and the area around the spiders was encased in rubber. He said it was a cushion joint.
Correct. I have them in my wheels on my CBR600rr as well. Traxxas makes them and they are essentially a slipper eliminator with Cushion to absorb the initial impact that makes eliminators so terrible for your drive train. They have them on the Xmaxx, Maxx, Erevo, and X0-1.

I use the slipper eliminator now because with 4s/6s power I kept breaking the assembly.

Seems like a regular transmission with a slipper would last longer? Not sure I understand the benefit of the cush drive. Interesting concept though.

A cush drive should never wear out. After looking at the X-Maxx one in the exploded view, it absorbs the initial hit on the drivetrain when you hit the gas.

A cush drive should never wear out. After looking at the X-Maxx one in the exploded view, it absorbs the initial hit on the drivetrain when you hit the gas.
It will wear out with age though unlike a slipper. I understand that the cush drive absorbs some of the initial shock but I guess more directly what I was asking is whats the benefit of a cush drive over a slipper?

whats the benefit of a cush drive over a slipper?
I don't have a cush drive in any of my current RC's. In fact I just saw my first one used for RC the other day when I was ordering the X parts and I saw it in the exploded view. But the cush drive design is nothing new. It is a design that has been used for years in steering shafts, machine drive systems (CNC), 3d printers, etc for probably longer than I have been alive.

The benefit is there is no friction between the rubber and the ears driving the assembly. The slipper is like a clutch disk. They wear due to the friction. Every launch makes the disk ever so slightly thinner. Eventually you will need to make an adjustment or replace the disk. With the cush, the wear would be very minimal.

The hard impact to the drivetrain on launch would be less with a slipper vs a cush, because the slipper would provide an easier and longer transition from 0 to full torque applied to the components, but the cush would be a lot more durable over time. So provided the components can handle the torque using a cush drive, it would be a much more problem free option.

Screenshot_20211111-122558_Gallery.jpg

Awesome. Love learning new things! Now Ima go install a kush drive on my bong! 🤣

Sorry, silly re-"hash" of my earlier joke. Oh, I did it again. Lame weed jokes 🤷‍♂️

Back