Slash 4WD versus 2WD

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgerman45

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Considering getting a Slash. Is a 4WD a lot easier to control than a 2WD. I've only had 2WD trucks? Trying to decide if the additional cost is worth it.

Yes. A 4x4 slash will handle better. More control to the wheels.

x3. Plus 4wd will run thru grass a lot easier for park bashing.

But note - 4wd needs a LOT more power, so if all you have is 20c batteries (fine for most 2wd) they will die quick with the load a 4wd SCT will give them. You need good batteries, that will add cost too.

Is it necessary to have LiPO batteries or will NiMH work?

Slash 4x4 if you want more overall stability in rough terrain, and Slash 2wd if you want more maneuverability. Both are great platforms and have strong aftermarket support.

For me, I personally prefer the 2wd over the 4x4 because of its simplicity, smaller turning radius, better acceleration, overall smoothness, and rear-wheel braking (swings the car around easily, and gets out of tight spaces without having to reverse a lot).

As for the battery, if you already have NiMH, it would work, but the battery will run warmer and have shorter run times. If you are planning on getting new batteries, get LiPos. You can get LiPos for around the same price (or lower) than NiMH. I recommend SMC True Specs: https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67_171

2wd on a 4x4 chassis FTW.

As for the battery, if you already have NiMH, it would work, but the battery will run warmer and have shorter run times.
It will run warmer, as in with two wheel drive the battery will be very hot in your hand when you take it out of the car. In the four by four, the battery will be too hot to hold for more than about a second. Might even melt the heat shrink off the cells. But, NIMH is very heat tolerant, so that is not as big of a problem as you might think.

I would wait for the new 2wd chassis to come out. It’s a blend of the 4x4 LCG rear half and 2wd LCG front half. Better weight distribution, no gear box, stronger drivetrain. Plus you get better handling in the air and in the corners. But you can only run shorty packs. This is exactly what I’m waiting on to build my 2wd

I would wait for the new 2wd chassis to come out. It’s a blend of the 4x4 LCG rear half and 2wd LCG front half. Better weight distribution, no gear box, stronger drivetrain. Plus you get better handling in the air and in the corners. But you can only run shorty packs. This is exactly what I’m waiting on to build my 2wd
A redesigned 2wd from Traxxas?

That’s crazy talk! Lol this is from ssc or ccs, something like that.

It’s the shining star chassis SC2LM

Considering getting a Slash. Is a 4WD a lot easier to control than a 2WD. I've only had 2WD trucks? Trying to decide if the additional cost is worth it.
The Slash 4x4 is a very good Truck .
I originally bought the High centre gravity, and Later converted it to a Low centre for off road bashing the High centre is great, the LCG handles a little bit better but it can ride a bit too low sometimes . As mentioned 4WD needs more power to achieve a speed your used to seeing with your 2wd.

Back