Silverlit RXRacer rc car toy fixing as a learning project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michalxo

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, as I will get MT410 on Christmas, I decided to learn a bit more about RC cars.
I am trying to fix some silly RC car I got 10 years ago - Silverlit RXRacer.

Original problem: leaked AA battery corrupted connections - solved it by removing this part and using LiFePO4 (S2) 1600mAh (6.6V). Car seems to be working fine, wheels are turning, small brush(less?) motor works fine as well.

Current problem: It seems to me, that after some load, the car dies, starts to blink like an error code and only thing that helps is to turn it off and on (like old MS Windows :) ). On back of the car, everything works fine for 30s, maybe sometimes more. When I start to use car on the floor (riding it), almost instantly fails and blinks (and does not respond to anything).

This is happening also with brand new 4xAA batteries as well, not just LiFePO4.

So I am here and stuck with cheap toy, which I am trying to fix. I will try to attach some video of a problem. Any ideas are welcomed. My 2yo boy loves to follow this car in a flat, so I would be happy to still fix it. :)

Thank you

silverlit-a.jpg

Attachments

• silverlit-b.jpg
    silverlit-b.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Theres really no telling with a cheap RC car like that. They typically dont have user manuals to help you troubleshoot and they dont normally have all the standard bits that a hobby grade RC has. Its also doubtful youd be able to get replacement parts for 99% of that car. If you could show us some pics under the body of the electronics and all that maybe it would spark some idea but right now I got nothin'

Do you have a cat? I only ask because that surely has a small, weak brushed can motor. When there is a load on them, thing overheat and they stop moving. And these little RC's are notorious for finding stuff you can't see and wrapping it up in the working parts of the RC. Look for any hair wrapped around the axles, around the motor or gears, etc. I have experienced similar issues with micro drones and RC cars.

Updated and added pictures. Thanks for quick reply.

Edit: Hmm hairs around axle - that's a good point. I will check it out! Thank you

Just as I feared, theres almost no commonality between this toy car and a hobby grade car. Just out of curiosity. Has the circuit board always had that discoloration to it? I'm wondering if it may have been exposed to something that is causing corrosion on that PCB.

I don’t think it’s worth it, and it’s going to be very hard to fix since there are no parts available.

Just as I feared, theres almost no commonality between this toy car and a hobby grade car. Just out of curiosity. Has the circuit board always had that discoloration to it? I'm wondering if it may have been exposed to something that is causing corrosion on that PCB.
Good eye. Maybe some electrical contact cleaner would help. Maybe there is continuity in whatever that is, causing some issues.

Yes, it has always been that glued yellowish etc. The only thing that corroded was my contact to battery - because I was stupid and did not know about batteries and soldering - that I could manage myself with a bit of help :)

So I opened it up, cleaned motor a bit, axle from all the crap. Also cleaned servo all wheels around there etc. To no help.
I just don't understand why this might be happening.
This transmitter (controller) has broken antenna, which I ordered from china. So I am going to try swap it, but I really don't think that should be the problem, as it worked with broken antenna anyway.

Do you guys think this is a broken (PCB?) - integrated circuit after some load disconnects? I would at least love to hear some theory what could be the problem.

Anyway, could you recommend any interesting "toy" mini-rc, that I could be able to use with small child, so he can run after it and possibly play with it as well? MT410 will be a huge inside living quarters as I seen wheels and bodykit. :)

Thank you many times guys

So I opened it up, cleaned motor a bit, axle from all the crap. Also cleaned servo all wheels around there etc. To no help.
I just don't understand why this might be happening.
This transmitter (controller) has broken antenna, which I ordered from china. So I am going to try swap it, but I really don't think that should be the problem, as it worked with broken antenna anyway.

Do you guys think this is a broken (PCB?) - integrated circuit after some load disconnects? I would at least love to hear some theory what could be the problem.

Anyway, could you recommend any interesting "toy" mini-rc, that I could be able to use with small child, so he can run after it and possibly play with it as well? MT410 will be a huge inside living quarters as I seen wheels and bodykit. :)

Thank you many times guys
Kyosho Mini-Z or a WLToys K989 or K969.

What kinda budget? There are lots of decent rc's out there that are a little less that hobby grade that are still fun.

This was just posted here on the forum and looks pretty cool. It's pretty fast, but maybe it has a dual rate knob for the throttle that you can slow it down with.

Edit - yeah, it says it has different speed adjustments for any level rc enthusiast.

TEMI Hobby Grade 1:16 Scale Remote Control Car,4WD High Speed 40 Km/h All Terrains Electric Toy Off Road RC Monster Vehicle Truck Crawler with Extra Shell Rechargeable Battery for Boys Kids and Adults https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D9SL1PP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_S5T4GJQT51D1A3RAVRFC

Budget - max 200e. Europe friendly ideally. Those `Kyosho Mini-Z` looks interesting..

Budget - max 200e. Europe friendly ideally. Those `Kyosho Mini-Z` looks interesting..
The WLToys is much more budget friendly, and takes LiPos instead of AAA/AA batteries Mini-Zs take. I don’t know how the parts availability is for the WLToys.

Edit: There appears to be tons of upgrades and replacement parts on eBay for the WLToys.

Thanks for pointing these guys out. I went with Orlandoo Hunter Kit :)

Anyway back on topic - would you recommend converting this toy into hobby car? DC motor is there, battery and servo is there. So I only need to buy receiver and esc. Or am I too naive?

Thanks for pointing these guys out. I went with Orlandoo Hunter Kit :)

Anyway back on topic - would you recommend converting this toy into hobby car? DC motor is there, battery and servo is there. So I only need to buy receiver and esc. Or am I too naive?
It’s honestly too much work, and in my opinion, I don’t think it’s worth it. You may start stripping out gears, once you do that, it’s dead, there are little to no parts for toy-grades.

Have to agrer with Pug here. When a toy breaks, there just isn't much you can do with it. Even the really big ones like New Bright that you get from Walmart are just overgrown toys. But even they have there use as they sometimes come with decent bodies and ok tires. So you sometimes see them robbed of these parts for hobby grade builds. But the one you have is not really worth messing with.

Onto the Orlandoo - that will be a challenging but fun build. 1/32 RC is tough because they are so tiny, but I love small scale, realistic RC's. I wanted their whole lineup awhile back and did a lot of research on them. They are impressive and fun looking little trucks. And you can build a small indoor crawler course just about anywhere for them. Really good choice, so please post a build thread on it and take lots of pictures for us to follow along. It will be awesome to see one built.

Thanks, looking forward to building small one and big MT410. I will definitely post here for some guidance - as until now, I only watched builds on youtube. But I was paper-modeler and have beginner skills in electricity. And TBH everything seems to be already explained on youtube. :-D

They should open Youtube University, hehe.

Hello guys, so I went ahead and bought wltoys car suggested here. It was running crazily awesome. My son loves playing with it.
I think that wltoys has problem with motor. I disassembled it, cleaned all, problem persists.

Could you please check out following 1 videos and suggest needed repairs /spare parts please?
Thank you very much for advices!

Edit: Tekno MT410 issue solved - quite easy fix, just 1 screw and position motor closer to main gear. easy-peasy.

Last edited: