Shock sox link/installation guide

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Wasn't sure what forum to put this in. Here is a link to the badhorsie website. There are other shock sox folks out there
but they have great colors, free shipping and an installation guide as well. I am in no way affiliated with the site. Just thought some folks might like to check it out.

http://www.badhorsie.com/products/shock-covers.html

The coolest part about using those is if you buy a set of savage covers they will almost fit any other RC out there. While you may have to trim a little off it's better to trim than to wish you had a little longer cover.

Baloons from the dollar store are less maintenance and are less expensive. I spent $5 last year and have not run out of them yet.

Originally posted by Error401
Baloons from the dollar store are less maintenance and are less expensive. I spent $5 last year and have not run out of them yet.

How do you use balloons? Do you just poke a hole at one end and slide the shock through? I'm a little confused. I can see how the sock shocks work, but how would the balloons stay up?

:cross:

EDIT- Disregard, i read further down and see how its done.

Last edited:
You need to get the long variety baloons. You also need a piece of brass tubing that the shock coils can slide over.blow in one end of the tube and slide the baloon on the tubing. Then roll the baloon up like a rubber, but not all the way off the tubing. Slide the coil over the end you blew into until it's up against the rolled up baloon. while compressing the coil, unroll the baloon over the coil. Once it's covered, blow in the open end of the tube and slide the baloon covered coil off the tube. Now take the coil, and slightly inflate the baloon, but keep the coil strait in the baloon. This will unload the coil and get it postioned in the baloon better. Try to get the far end of the coil right at the closed end of the baloon. Then slowly let the air out of the baloon. Once this is done, cut the open end of the baloon off about 3/8th inch from the end of the coil and fold inside the coil. This will be the top side of the coil, and the plastic thingy will keep the baloon in place. On the bottom end, cut a slit in the baloon. When you install the coil, carefully shove the shock end through the slit. This will help keep dirt from getting sucked up into the coil and onto the shaft.

The baloons are easier to clean than a cloth cover. Windex, 409, and even nitro cleaner (in moderation) will not harm the baloons. I used a set on my savage for nearly 6 months before I had to change them. Check my gallery for pix of what they look like.

Somewhere, I have a how to page with pix, but I'll have to go digging to find it. If there's any questions, I'll be happy to try and help out.

EDIT-- Now ya tell me. lol. I needed another post anyway. :spam I am.

How do the balloons hold up? Do you need to change them after every race? Have you used a material thats more durable?

Never tried the ballon technique but I did post a thread some time ago covering the use of latex glove fingers. They stretch a ton and are resiliant to just about everything. I'll see if I can find the thread.

The baloons are easier to clean than a cloth cover. Windex, 409, and even nitro cleaner (in moderation) will not harm the baloons. I used a set on my savage for nearly 6 months before I had to change them. Check my gallery for pix of what they look like.

They last longer than you would expect.

They last longer than you would expect.

Sweet info! Great tips that save money are my favorites :)

It’s actually very easy to make your own "shock socks". I looked at the ones from Bad Horse and then got some of the fabric from the fabric store; it is some kind of lycra based stuff. I basically walked around and found fabric that was able to stretch; you'll know it when you find it. I got 1/8th of a yard in 5 different colors. It cost about $10.00 total and each piece could make about 20 socks.

I took one of my springs and used it to make a template for determining the width of fabric needed to go around the shock. It is important to make sure fabric stretches around the shock, not up and down the length of it. Once I knew the width, I laid all four springs out on the piece and left space above and below each spring to determine the length of fabric needed to cover all the shocks.

Once I knew the length and the width for the piece, I simply cut the piece out and ran it through the sewing machine. I ran it through three times, moving the piece away from the needle slightly more each time to ensure that the seam would hold.

Once I was done sewing it, I cut the long tube into four equal pieces, trimmed off the extra fabric from the seam, turned them inside out and placed them on the shocks. They work great, are even cheaper than buying them from the various websites and took about 15 minutes to make. You can coat them with scotch guard and they will be stain resistant as well. Look out Martha Stewart!

Attachments

• 100_3740web.jpg
    100_3740web.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 186
Shock Covers

I have used several covers but The shock Glove was the only one that improved the performance of my shocks. All the other covers are great for keeping out dirt including the ballons. But the shock glove was great when I raced on dirt or sand tracks it just kept my tires from getting that bounce around the turns. It was almost like they were pushed on to the track. I dont know those guys I just think it helped me out.

the link is

http://theshockglove.com

Kelgrox

Nice find. Not my first choice for a shock cover, but an excellent option.

Back