Shock Oils?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozwes007

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Could anyone advise why my car comes with #400, #1000, and #2000 Shock Silicon and #10000, #30000, #50000, #70000, #100000 and #200000 Diff Silicon Oil, and every one seems to recommend #30 -> #60 Shock Silicon Oil and #1000 -> #10000 Diff Silicon Oil ?:)
I am currently running #400 Silcon Oil in the shocks on my GV BV 1/10 Road Racer. http://www.gv-hobby.com.tw/p5-f.php
my problem I am trying to eliminate is when I decelerate the back end comes round real quick to meet the front end.:boxing:

My guess is the thickness of each silicon or oil.

It gives you the options to adjust your suspension to your liking. Depends on if you're running on asphalt, gravel, dirt or whatever.
The dif oils also give you options. The thicker the oil, the less slippage from one side to the others.
Start with a basic setup, then you can adjust the oils when you know what kind of handling you'd like.

Follow Up

Sorry guys Just to follow up I'm wondering why GV have such a large weight silicon oil for there shocks and diff as compared to every one else. I was thinking that perhaps there are more than 1 standard in Oil grades.....!

if the assend is passing the front end when you turn corners,you could try differant compound tires if they are foams or if you are running rubber tires try a softer foam insert in the rear. I'm running 50weight front 30weight rear in all of my onroads.

update

It appears it may be related to the springs as the front has close to 75% cross weight and it drops quite bad under decel. I have the lightest on the rear I can get and the front is std(2x stronger than rears). I am going to purchase and try 3x and 4x stronger fronts and see how that works.:)

Oil Types

Just a follow up on the oil types. I have found through various means that the 20w - 100w type oils are a std. oil based rating(possibly loosely based on the same w ratings as regular oils 15w40) and the #100 - #500,000 ratings are based on centistokes.( a true measurement of viscosity). Some examples are 20w = #100 ; 25w = #200 ; 30w = #350 ; 40w = #1000 and 50w = #2000.:bandit:

Back