Shock Oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a set of HB threaded shocks on my Savage.The shock shafts that came with them were junk so I replaced them with the stock HPI ones instead.They have held up good so far but I found a new place to drive and now I keep bending them.I've bent 4 shafts in three sessions.I'm using 40 weight shock fluid all the way around but I'm wondering if something like 20-25 weight would help keep them from bending.

You might what to check out the HB heavy duty savage shocks. Alot of others on here will tell you that the HB threated shocks are crap. Some have even gone back to the stock shocks cause they hold up better. I was going to get them myself till I seen on here that people are haveing problems with the threaded shocks and the shafts bending.

Yeah they are junk!!! LOL Thats why I used the stock shafts instead of the ones that came with HB threaded shocks.The have been holding up very well but they don't seem to like the 7 foot jumps i've found.I really don't want to spend anymore money on shocks thats why I was aking about the oil.If the shocks compress easier they shouldn't bend the shafts right?

That is correct. Also how many holes are in the round disc located in the shock. You might want to check to see as there is other disc with 1-3 holes.

Its not the shafts as much as it is the side to side play causing your problem (which I still have yet to find a solid fix for!)

The side force of the shaft/plate against the interior of the shock housing upon impact (of high impact) cause the failing of the shaft. I honestly dont think any shaft will work long term. I really wish HB would step up to the plate and replace these shocks for us for free.

Just like HPI's stock rims.

The shock piston has one hole.I'm using the pistons from the HPI shocks too.I'll have to dig thru my parts so see if I have a 3 hole piston but I don't think I do.I've been hearing good things about the HB performance shock set.I wonder if HB sells just the shafts from those.They might be different.I'm going to my LHS tomarrow to pick up a few HPI shock shafts but if thier is a better solution I can hold off.

Just think about the shock bodies being defective for one minute - if the side to side play is being cause by the opening being poorly made, then no matter what, you will keep bending them.

I just dont want to see you keep on pissing money away on parts.

You can drill a 1/16th or slightly larger hole, or two, in the plates if you like.

The stock oil was only 10 weight, so thats something to think about too.

I get what your saying now.The shock body is what is defective.I'm looking at them now and I see what you mean about the shaft moving side to side.Are these shocks any better?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDVL8&P=7

They are still HB but the shock body isn't threaded so maybe it's different and doesn't have the shaft play.

Ah Rex those were the other shocks by HB I was talking about. Suppose to be better then the threaded shocks

I can't vouch for the new ones. Maybe someone who runs them can. Alein seems to know about them which is good to hear some positive feedback about the HB shocks. The newer ones anyhow.

I just wish HB would address this issue. But they havent even responded to my emails from almost 2 months ago now :(

Back