servo going crazy when i try to start it.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andler2008

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
When I touch my glow plug ignitor to the head of my engine while touching the glow plug itself my throttle servo goes nuts. I don't know why. Could this be shorting out my ignitor? Cause I still have yet to get my engine started since I've had it.

When I touch my glow plug ignitor to the head of my engine while touching the glow plug itself my throttle servo goes nuts. I don't know why. Could this be shorting out my ignitor? Cause I still have yet to get my engine started since I've had it.

what kind of car are we talking about?

it's an ofna ravager. but the engine isn't the original. it's a .21 of an exceed razor.

Yes it seems some receivers are more sensitive to metal on metal contact than others. The best thing to do is to go through and make sure you have no cuts in the antenna wire, servo wires as well. You can try swapping crystals and see it it helps. Has worked for me before. I have ran into the past and some I could not get rid of the problem. 2.4 radio fixed it though...lol I seriously doubt it would short out your ignitor though...

Last edited:
Yeah deff wont short out the ignitor, and i would bet its your radio system glitching out, my servo's will do the same, but more like a small 2-second twitch then all back to normal. I would go with frikenjoeys guess, check your wires, i would think if the antenna wire has a break it could cause that to happen...:)

I had similar problem on one of my cars a long time ago it turned out to be a bad radio switch. The vibration was braking connection inside i was getting random glitching, changed the switch and the problem stopped just something you might want to check.if it's electrical interferance make sure ur antenna wire is is not touching any metal.

Last edited:
+1. If you have an inline switch, bypass it and hook the battery directly to the receiver. See if that changes anything. My RC10 does the same thing. The servos will twitch wildly when attaching or removing the ignitor. Never found a problem so I just go with it. I do keep the ignitor attached to the plug for 20-30 seconds, just to let the engine warm up a bit in case the throttle spikes when I remove the ignitor. Makes me feel better.:)

You will always get a little twitch as the servos center themselves on start up, but major twitching is another problem. Try keeping the transmitter farther away from the car while starting. Behind you, or at arms length away from the car. Sometimes the antenna being too close to the receiver will create the disturbance.

a flat or near flat reciever battery will also cause the servo's to twitch.

Well a Guy a my LHS told me that older crystals will cause the servo twitch. And I might have exaggerated on the amount of twitch. He said it was a standard small twitch for how the crystals are.