Kyosho touch starter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjax

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have got a touch starter for my gxr18 engine that usually comes on an MFR but I don't have the glow adapter for the lipos to power it, it needs a 7.3v or 7.4v to power it. Does anyone know what I could use? My 21700 Lith-ion battery will power the motor if I touch the positive and negative cables to it but its 3.7v so I'm unsure if it will also power the glow plug. I've attached pictures of the starter. Would it be possible to put a lipo connector on an rca cable?

images.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

download.jpeg

Last edited:
The motor will need a 2S lipo or 7.2V NiMh battery. The Glow plug takes 1.5V maximum, anything more will blow it up.

It looks like there's a few component to the touch starter. #74003 is the connector that goes on the battery. 74004 is the motor, 74005 is the wiring unit that goes on the car. The last one, the wiring unit, converts the 7.2V from the battery down to the 1.5V the glow plug needs.

Thanks for the information, I have everything but the connector for the battery, hence why I asked about modifying an rca cable as it fits 74005. I'm wondering if I can substitute 74003B for it? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the information, I have everything but the connector for the battery, hence why I asked about modifying an rca cable as it fits 74005. I'm wondering if I can substitute 74003B for it? Any thoughts?

I see, you're probably fine to modify an RCA jack - it may be a good idea to get a bare jack and solder it up rather than modifying a cable; an RCA cable will probably have 22AWG or thinner conductors that may not be up to the task, that starter motor probably pulls ~10 amps, and another amp or two just for the glow plug.

You could also sub in parts from the Traxxas EZ-start system, it's pretty much analogous. The wiring harness would be Traxxas #4579, instead of the Kyosho 74005, and the EZ-Start Wand would be the equivalent of the 74003. You'd use the Kyosho starter gearbox and it'd all be compatible since they're both originally made for 7.2V stick packs. You can see how similar it would be:
1696686246300.png

That's a really good point about the cables not being up to the task. I'll have a tinker and see how it turns out. If it's not up to the task then ezstart it is

Made the adapter/starter with a pair of 18650 batteries, a custom battery box and a old glow igniter end. Used 14awg cable in the end! It fires up like no tomorrow, a quick tap and it's rearing to go

Back