Servo Getting Warm

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RET4RD

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
So my Onisiki servo on my MST FMX is awesome. It's so quick. I've been running it around bodiless for a few weeks at my local chapel (pro tip--chapels have the PERFECT drifting carpet) and the thing's a blast. Highly recommend for an indoor rig you can blow a grand on.

My only concern is, the servo likes to get warm. Do I need a separate servo fan? And are servos prone to thermal damage like motors? I know that the little airflow I'm getting already will be further stifled when I get around to buying a body for it, and I spent good money on that servo.

If you're all wondering here's the servo...
https://www.amainhobbies.com/onisik...XF7z747a4FHAo5clmA1uR0fQWPx9UASBoCZt0QAvD_BwE

…and the car.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/mst-fm...tARkHgq-BehqXF5mGun5ATI54CU9dONhoCRR8QAvD_BwE

Thanks!

Tbh never felt my servo after a run. Possible that the carpet is providing a lot of resistance and straining the servo? Not sure. What happened to the stock servo? Did it get warm as well?

The FMX is a kit, so I guess the Onisiki was the "stock" servo. It's just what I threw in it.

You might be right, but the same thing happens on Linoleum and epoxy floors. I really don't think it's malfunctioning, it runs great otherwise. It's also aluminum cased, so maybe it's just bringing more heat to the surface than other servos. idk maybe it's just a drift servo thing

The FMX is a kit, so I guess the Onisiki was the "stock" servo. It's just what I threw in it.

You might be right, but the same thing happens on Linoleum and epoxy floors. I really don't think it's malfunctioning, it runs great otherwise. It's also aluminum cased, so maybe it's just bringing more heat to the surface than other servos. idk maybe it's just a drift servo thing
Hmm
We'll have to wait for the drift guys to see this, only suggestion might be set your endpoints?

How hot is it getting? If its just warm then I wouldnt worry about it. That being said, Have you set the end point adjustments on it so the servo isnt pushing after the travel stops?

How hot is it getting? If its just warm then I wouldnt worry about it. That being said, Have you set the end point adjustments on it so the servo isnt pushing after the travel stops?
It's not getting super hot, just noticeably. And, yeah, the chassis does flex a bit at full tilt...better go do some adjusting. Thx bro

It's not getting super hot, just noticeably. And, yeah, the chassis does flex a bit at full tilt...better go do some adjusting. Thx bro
Yeah, set your end points for the servo. if the servo is causing the chassis to flex then its still pushing after the steering has run out of travel. You can eventually burn up a servo like that.

On that note, does anyone know how to set endpoints? Not sure where to do it and how
Oh and I run a Spektrum DX3 it that helps

On that note, does anyone know how to set endpoints? Not sure where to do it and how
Its done on the transmitter. How its done will depend on your transmitter but basically you slowly adjust each side until it reaches max travel. back it off one or two notches and the rinse and repeat for the other direction.

Its done on the transmitter. How its done will depend on your transmitter but basically you slowly adjust each side until it reaches max travel. back it off one or two notches and the rinse and repeat for the other direction.
Which knob/button do I use? I have AVC gyro adjustment and steering trim but no steering rate like the STX2.

From the user manual:
Capture.JPG

Back