SCX 24 Brushless motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure whatever you get will fit the stock motor mount, otherwise make sure you get a combo that comes with a motor mount. If your looking for the cheapest option the stock motor is under $8.00 at Horizon Hobby. Going to be hard to beat that.

I've only had one died on me out of 5. My 1st is the red Deadbolt, which I got a year and a half ago. That motor is still working fine. I did upgrade a few with the $15 Injora motors for greater torque attributes.
A culprit for these burnt out stock motors could be due to the overtightening of the wheel hex.

I've killed almost all of em...
Stock motors are ok until you add weight, then they croak.

Barrage last 3x as long, but technical lines will kill them eventually.

I just put a mofo torquebeast in one of my 24's. It's a huge improvement! I'll let ya know if it smokes.

Holmes 380 revolver- incredible, but watch your wiring. I had a motor plug come loose and arc. Fried revolver.

I recently installed an el cheapo ebay outrunner (the little red one mm1408, 1850kv, $12)- another awesome motor. Even with a hw 18a esc that isn't made for crawling, this thing is smooth and torquey.

But the king for me is the 2204 surpass outrunner. These things can bend a gspeed chassis in half. They snap dogbones if you bind a wheel. Taco Truk has never NOT had enough power for a situation. They're up to about $21 now on amazon.
You'll have to get different mounts for any outrunner. They're like $20 for a 2 pack. Get creative for mounting bolts. I ended up using some rando arrma bolts from a basher.

For a brushless esc, you can get away with the 18a hobbywing, but what you ultimately want is the furitek.

Furitek esc's are magic. And spendy af. Super easy programming on the fly, and the most buttery smoothness in low end torque you've ever seen. I wish my 1/10 esc's were this smooth!

And you'll likely have to drill out fried servo gears for pinions on brushless motors. Take apart your old dead servos and harvest any pinions with compatible pitch

My stock motor lasted over a year with extra weight, axle extenders and large mudslingers. My current motor is the slightly larger 050 55t which fits easily so long as you cut off one of the battery tray legs - it's only been in a month but it survived a session with a youngster doing his best to trash it.

I would be quite interested in giving my scx24 some extra speed - not a lot but say 50% more (but at the same time keeping torque for slow crawling). I think a brushed motor would give more speed with less turns but with less torque. Is more speed without loss of torque possible or even sensible with a brushless? Or is the engineering of these little crawlers just not right for more speed?

I've abandoned the speed idea. Too much gear reduction and resistance with the worm drive.
I was thinking the same. I guess if you want more speed you get a different vehicle

I am new to crawling. Just bought an Axial C-10 right after Christmas, then started to upgrade.

Got weighted diff plates, weighted wheel spacers, and weighted rims with new tires and the stock motor doesn't have the guts to pull all of that up an incline. Ended up going back to the stock wheels, and it performs better, but I like the look of the upgraded wheels and I already modded the body to fit them.

Looking for information on if I need a bigger, stronger motor or if I need to upgrade the transmission etc. and recommendations for either/both.

The only issue I have with stock motors is that they hesitate just a bit, but they aren't a deal breaker.
They are still very capable motors.
I run Furitek systems in a couple of mine but they are far from budget.
I honestly don't know of any other systems out there.

Last edited:
I put a PN Racing brushed motor in our C10, and it has loads of power. Good slow crawl vs stock too.

Back