School me on affordable radio gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryJohnson

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I've got young kids (2.5 and 5.5). They're both decent at driving rc crawlers, however they're not decent at not accidentally dropping their radios. We just blew through a second tactic ttx200, and they've dropped a dx5 and goofed up the power button (It still works-ish).

No way I'm getting approval from The Minister of Finance (aka wife) to buy them both ruggedized radios, so instead I'm looking for a decent affordable radio that's not going to make me feel like crying every time I see one hit the deck, but also well built enough that they could take a few hits. I was eyeballing the spektrum slt3, but I figured I'd turn to the RC Talk brain trust since I haven't really messed around with tons of different radios.

I've got young kids (2.5 and 5.5). They're both decent at driving rc crawlers, however they're not decent at not accidentally dropping their radios. We just blew through a second tactic ttx200, and they've dropped a dx5 and goofed up the power button (It still works-ish).

No way I'm getting approval from The Minister of Finance (aka wife) to buy them both ruggedized radios, so instead I'm looking for a decent affordable radio that's not going to make me feel like crying every time I see one hit the deck, but also well built enough that they could take a few hits. I was eyeballing the spektrum slt3, but I figured I'd turn to the RC Talk brain trust since I haven't really messed around with tons of different radios.
I have a spektrum DX2E and they are super durable. They are discontinued though so I would look on eBay or the like.

Whatever you get you should buy a sling for them both so when they drop it then it shouldnt fall to the ground only to the end of the sling. Horizon hobby sells one with spektrum branding https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/neck-strap/SPMP610.html flysky also makes decent radios

For dirt cheap and durable, you can get the basic RTR radios included with lots of entry-level hobby-grade RC's.

Here's a good model with trim, D/R, and throttle EPA. It's basic but does the job and has a protected antenna. I've accidentally had mine get blown off a table several feet onto concrete with no damage.

I use the RadioLink RC4GS V3 (off of amazon) which was 90 dollars with 2 receivers at the time. It's a good radio function wise but with durability, no. Plastics are sort of cheap on the radio link. I broke half the back of the trigger off and used CA glue to put it back on.

I would get some lanyards and attach them to the radio. That would probably be the best option.

Get a Spektrum SLT3. Has all the basic features and trim knobs. Comes with most RTR trucks from Horizon Hobby. There is a hole to attach a lanyard. Also under 100 bucks. A lanyard is to help not drop it. You can make one sized to you little ones with paracord.

Get a Spektrum SLT3. Has all the basic features and trim knobs. Comes with most RTR trucks from Horizon Hobby. There is a hole to attach a lanyard. Also under 100 bucks. A lanyard is to help not drop it. You can make one sized to you little ones with paracord.
For $45 or so, you can grab a Flysky GT3B. It will control up to 10 vehicles just by buying some extra $10 receivers. Great radio for the money.

Back