Scale rock crawling trip. Old farts only.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidtwist

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Guys, (adults. Not a weirdo)

I'm planning a trip to moab mid-late march to second week of april. Around 3/20-4/12 or so. Leaving pittsburgh pa driving in a semi-built jeep rubicon stay for a week or two in an airbnb near honeyville utah to go to crystal hot springs nearby. Old and wanna soak. Will be working remotely. And then hit east jeep safari in moab. Plan on doing a decent amount of scx-24 crawling and video. I'm an adult, a smoker, will be bringing a dog. But have room for one more and luggage. And dog if they get along. Id rathee not go solo and i like having someone to call 911 if i die. Hit me up for more details. Have done many road trips. Did this exact one last year but rushed. This year wanna relax. No crazies. There will be an interview. Already getting airbnb and gas so financials not real bad

536B0BCF-534A-473A-BA1A-D876EF615142.jpeg

E3693B70-F022-448F-B652-76D449C40F42.jpeg

61B5DDC1-DFE3-4113-8C26-8FF62BDFDFB7.jpeg

4312136A-51D7-4988-AC1E-73C02A950C36.jpeg

3EE36806-F7F0-44AE-B37E-4DED0D83E5EF.jpeg

8E008C37-0400-4E1E-AA9B-9C1C296DCBB5.jpeg

36EA1D70-BE6C-49BD-AD18-CC1CEEDC3E79.jpeg

6579E3AB-7C72-4C75-9C31-A25E487793FA.jpeg

4983DE0E-9FB7-4B39-8676-6209C09F5FC9.jpeg

ED1BB3BB-960B-49FA-9070-367AD0D0B5E4.jpeg

I never done Moab I’m out of the seen for quite a few years alway wanted to go there had many chances. I use to run real buggy not Jeep’s full custom crawlers. My last one that sold was beat hard 18.5 wheel base triangle 4 link doubler hybrid injection for verticals all full tube chassis. I rolled flopped ect. Many times can’t count. Did KOH back door, Big bear California, my stomping ground was table Mesa AZ. Reason I got out of it my buddy rolled 200ft and I had to save his life and his son as well to this day that still messes with me. I tried to keep going but knew at some point how we push our limits I would be next. But Moab love to just see it. Look up AZ Undertakers on YouTube. Just little hint what we did with them

I never done Moab I’m out of the seen for quite a few years alway wanted to go there had many chances. I use to run real buggy not Jeep’s full custom crawlers. My last one that sold was beat hard 18.5 wheel base triangle 4 link doubler hybrid injection for verticals all full tube chassis. I rolled flopped ect. Many times can’t count. Did KOH back door, Big bear California, my stomping ground was table Mesa AZ. Reason I got out of it my buddy rolled 200ft and I had to save his life and his son as well to this day that still messes with me. I tried to keep going but knew at some point how we push our limits I would be next. But Moab love to just see it. Look up AZ Undertakers on YouTube. Just little hint what we did with them
Yeah I've done east coast jeep only. Mostly tj homemade mods 31s. Now a jk rubi with 35s lockers lift fender winch seats harnesses chip nothing too crazy and when ya driving 1800 miles home ya can't beat hard. Did tellico north ga and easter pa. There is a place called yellow knife on ohio/wv border near panhandle couple hundred or more acres of woods shale and powerines. Built an aircooled vw woodsbuggy for that. Not enough $ for anything bigger.

Sounds like fun. I was down until I saw no crazies. I'm on the deranged side of the spectrum. 🤪😆

Love the brass roll cage. I got the same wheels on my red wrangler 10.2 also.

Goodluck on your trip. Be sure to post pics.

Yeah I've done east coast jeep only. Mostly tj homemade mods 31s. Now a jk rubi with 35s lockers lift fender winch seats harnesses chip nothing too crazy and when ya driving 1800 miles home ya can't beat hard. Did tellico north ga and easter pa. There is a place called yellow knife on ohio/wv border near panhandle couple hundred or more acres of woods shale and powerines. Built an aircooled vw woodsbuggy for that. Not enough $ for anything bigger.
I mean did ejs in moab last year. Bfg garage put on lift for free. Saw rory and trailmater and matts offroad corvair. Hells revenge and fins and things. And then some wonkey popcorn field exit that rattleled the hell out of me for like 4 miles. Nothing crazy again beast but dailt driver beast
Oh and last october drove to within 30 miles from arctic circle on trip to visit daughter in college in fairbanks then down highway 101 into cali on way home. 12,500 miles. Equator only 24,000. Do it again anytime trip of a lifetime in thay jeep me and neighbor dude and two dogs. 2 door. 36 days.

Thanks for cage comment. Got an Amazon 3d printer and a wild idea for a great scx24 conversion.

I drove through Moab a few years ago from Texas heading to Idaho.
Beautiful area.

Have fun. I'm in the offroad/overland industry and one of my co-workers goes to EJS every year. He recently got into RC via the SCX24 and said he is excited to take it with him this year and play around camp. I've already printed a couple of parts like fender liners and as a joke an angry grill for him.

Man, it sounds like it will be a blast. If I wasn't so decrepit I'd take ya up on that trip. Will be looking forward to videos.

Sounds like a blast, but I think my adventure days are mostly over. Just don't think my tailbone could take that much driving. I love the Gorilla hood Ornament by the way. :)

Sounds like a blast, but I think my adventure days are mostly over. Just don't think my tailbone could take that much driving. I love the Gorilla hood Ornament by the way. :)
👆I'm with this guy. Getting to old for those sort of trips but it does sound like a blast

He wanted old farts...... I guess he got them. 😄🤣

I smell one coming ohhh poop just a old fart

Update. Yeah. 3/3 was a birthday. Square root of 64, plus 11 x march, plus number of fingers. Hmm 8 + 33 + 5. Yeah thats right. Ne way. Buddy from the local gas station (admittedly no as old n stinky a fart as me) says hell go!!! Woot woot.

Complete sidenote. To all those. Too old to do poop. Were all dying. I prolly got less time than average. Fn LIVE life! Build that poop, run 110%. See poop. Even if its painful, awefule a struggle. You wont regret any new wxperience if you can learn something from it.

Yeah. So. Fn have to figure how to keep aquariums running, gather photo equip dashcam, digital cams. Thinking of a cheap $200 drone? Get out real winch, wire up connectors, air compressor, clear roof, pack up all bags, medical (yeah I'm old and have a fn backpack just for pills and insulin and badages, nitro pills, all the good stuff needed when ya drive ya body “like ya stole it”). Dog equip. Rc equip. Usb and cig lightee fn octopuses. Figure out which racks I'm taking. Holy 15 days till i leave.

Reason I'm rambling. You guys my new crew?! I need $ and equip. Make an offer on anything i posted. Have an extra camera? Something that could help on trip? I can return to you after or buy. Advice? Thinking maybe stopping at zion ans arches too. Def bringing rcs and fpv cameras. Talk to me!

The fn alaskan wannabe pa wildman who drives his life away—— peace.

8D8AEABE-5EDD-4982-BAB1-6F5797A3B288.jpeg

91EFF875-C7AD-413C-B161-06F582FC814A.jpeg

0F17B5DC-148D-44D7-B64E-7263406DB505.jpeg

A07BB868-6B82-4A94-A775-68F273DDA685.jpeg

112465DD-F447-4268-A562-5174631F1407.jpeg

4201D5AD-A6ED-4DBF-A911-B65811FC061D.jpeg

4B2A10FB-732A-454C-A837-C13A70AFC525.jpeg

9143E775-AFBD-477D-98CB-FB03640B474A.jpeg

BE7F64B7-97DE-48A6-A96D-5DBF28661748.jpeg

83BEE107-E423-47C7-8C78-589FCE8BC3CE.jpeg

West coast, banff, yukom, near fairbanks all 2022. If ya float through life may not like where ya end up!

Cool pics thanks for sharing love the Aurora

I wish I could help ya. Hell, I wish like hell I could tag along!

The only suggestions I have is see as much of Colorado as you can on the trip through there. I haven't been west of Colorado, but I know there are a lot of beautiful spots out west. I just can't imagine there are many as beautiful as some of the spots I saw like the Royal Gorge and the views from Pike's Peak. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is pretty amazing too if the flowers are starting to bloom, but these places would be way out of your way. It was April when we were there and it was pretty amazing (years ago). But if it were me, I'd take i70 there, and try to find an alternative route coming home, just to see more of it. There wasn't a boring road there that I saw.

Looking forward to seeing as much of the adventure as you can share man. Good luck on your trip, and I hope you guys have a serious blast!

Dude. Huge hurtle passed last night. Got blessing from my mom. Lol. Shes getting old and were trying to bury the hatchet. She doesn't like me travelling with health and responsibilities but i dont like “not telling her”. But phrased carefully i got her blessing. Didnt mention offroadinf jeep, just hot springs lol. Ya know the healthy, safe aspect of the trip. Not taking moab in a jeep with 20,000 more miles ans totally changed CG irl offroading. Idk if you guys know but flipping in a vehicle you have to drive 1,800 miles home in is kinda bad. Heck anything other than a perfect run is bad. But as some of you who have been to these type events know. There are really good guys, and crappy one too selling parts and fixing things. So bring it on. Anyway. Yeah. Boss says remote work ok, family know I'm gonna do it and dont care, piggy bank counted and coins rolled. Just have to pack now. Still looking for a spotter, cameraman, ambulance dispatcher. Have my dating profile updates, an add on criagslist rideshare, and a painted sign on side of jeep. Just updating. If it isnt apparent this is my only social media lol.

Sad realization. I'm going solo. Taking out passenger seat for store and dog bed. Takinf down ads. No way ima find anyone trustworthy this late. Worth a try. Had a good couple trips with people but solo is my game i guess. Getting toys ready (1/1, 1/10, 1/24). Getting cameras ready. Anyone know a good video drone for under $300 thats worth getting if out west possibly zion and arches.

Oh jeez. Heres anothee option. Put up same ad on my okcupid page. Got a lady who wants me to come to florida to hang mid-state then if we get along will do the keywest drive. Its a bucket list drive for me. Its like half as far. Half as risky to jeep. Twice as risky for me. The jeep thing is a yearly thing. Keywest is more expensive than moab. What ya think?

Back