Savage X: unsure about the spur gear with a change of clutch bell

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairy W Bush

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The diagram of my Savage X shows 1 part number for the spur gear, and 2 for a clutch bell(15t & 18t). Now I can also get 16 and 17 to replace the worn 18 I have on it. Don't care about the 18t, although I DO have another like new spare. My question is will spur gear #77094 work with all of these??

They should fit... just check to make sure your brake disk isn't rubbing the clutch bell. I had that when I geared mine down for larger tires. I had a steel spur and didn't want to buy another spur just to run the tires, so I put 2mm aluminum washers between the engine and the mount to raise it up for clearance. I think I had a 47T spur and was running a 15T bell. Been a while though...

Thanks. No issue there. However, I seem to have an alignment issue. It's a little difficult to align this engine perpendicular to the transmission. There is a fair amount of sideways adjustment on the truck, and next to nothing front and back. My manual does not cover this much at all. Here's a picture of the problem:
4O3Axyj.jpg

It the spur gear looks flush to the back of the bell gear, but I don't know if that's right. If it is, then why does it make this noise?

There is no wobble in the spur gear. I replaced the outermost cover that the spring rests on because that was worn, and now it spins nice and straight. When I spin the wheels while holding the truck in the air, I do not feel tightness; it feels free like in the video. That noise is not there without the engine in. I don't know what's going on.

Last edited:
What brakes do you have on it? Is that an old school 21 chassis (pre-X lower cg chassis plates)?

You will hear some gear noise when it rolls... but that sound to me is either
  1. the brakes binding a tiny bit
  2. the older steel brake disks binding on the hex hub due to a bit of wear/slop on the inside hex cutout on the disks
  3. the center dogbone cups having notches in them from the dogbone ears and hanging as the shafts turn

I've had all 3 of those issues at one point or another. They all sound like that.

well I loosened the tension knob and it didn't change anything. the disc brakes are brand new twin fiberglass and that female hex drive is also brand new. the dogbone cup for the rear diff does show a bit of wear, but it doesn't look like it's enough to make the noise. I have a spare that look unused so I could swap it out as soon as I can.

Check the front center cups. It's dogbone is at more of an angle if I remember right. The cups on the transmission get notches worn in them as well.

turns out I don't actually have the right drive cups. the ones I have are 2 different lengths and have stems. I can't seen to copy the sheet of the manual, but the ones for the rear diff are 86030 and that comes up as a gear.
it also appears to be stuck unfortunately. :\
EDIT: they are 86083

page5-3.png

Last edited:
turns out I don't actually have the right drive cups. the ones I have are 2 different lengths and have stems. I can't seen to copy the sheet of the manual, but the ones for the rear diff are 86030 and that comes up as a gear.
it also appears to be stuck unfortunately. :\
EDIT: they are 86083

View attachment 149216
Yeah, 86082 is for the ones on the center shaft for the transmission, in the front at least. The rear is either a larger steel one piece hex/output cup 86322, or a two piece that uses a cup like 86082 and a piece that fits it for the brake disks to ride on, 85044. Or, if you have the dual stainless brake kit, it came with a hub/hex that was a bit smaller, https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/87150. I've had all of them at one point or another. I prefered the dual pink style and ended up replacing the pink disks with some thick carbon fiber ones.

thanks olds. I have the dual fiberglass kit on there. (WHY is that so difficult to install?) My dogbones and hubs came. The rear differential hub uses the metal hub with a plastic collar over it. I don't know why, but there was a rubber o-ring at the tip of the shaft with the drive hex installed. Not sure if I need it? I will try and put this back together this weekend and see what happens.

Last edited:
Spur gears came in. The spur gears I ordered are the same part number as the one that's on it, but the pilot hole is larger, making it unusable. Why do they do this?

yea the hole that slides over the input shaft.
I ended up getting the other style spur gear that has the brass bushing inside. Just had to make a new bushing. I'll probably install it this weekend.
For some reason I was seeing kits with 2 washers.

Back