Savage X Overheating Problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage SSX

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey all I bought a savage SS and put on all the X parts and installed a 5.9 with a 3 speed. When I tune it up I can get it to run perfect, extremely tight throttle response, really good high speed, and a little smoke, a little more than by buddies XL however my temp is 215 to 225. When I richen it up and get the temp down to even 180 it runs like crap and nitro fuel pours out the exhaust and any more rich and it will literally die.

I run it in medium grass (no higher than the wheels), we have an acre field I run it on. I run Traxxas 20% nitro fuel.

Spur gear combo is 49 / 18

That’s about all I can think of. I also had my buddy try to tune it up and he got the same result and he has 4 savages and has been in the nitro RC hobby for almost 10 years.

The 5.9 is brand new. When I took it out of the box and did the recommended break in. It went through 5 tanks in about 25 - 35 minutes and a stream of fuel was running down the driveway after the 5th tank.
I took the carb off and took it apart thinking a seal may be ripped or broken and that may be why so much fuel is being dumped in the engine but everything looked fine.

We are both at a loss as to why this engine goes through so much fuel and runs so hot when everyone else’s savage runs fine.

I was looking online for ways to cool the engine down some more and found a heat sink on ebay but I have no idea where it goes or even if it will fit on my car. Here is a link to what I was looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RDLogics-Al...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4842584bc6
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-Bill...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf7195ada
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iNTEGY-Engi...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25658c8ee3

Does anyone have any thoughts to what could be causing my problems or if any of those heatsinks will work for my savage and more importantly where do they mount?

Whats weird is that same thing happend to my truck, after break in and was able to actually drive it. it over heated alot, but eventually i found the right tune. A temp gauge really helped my fine tune my engine so i can maintain the engine temp even after some intense hill climbing it doesn't rise much at all.

What you need to do is just slightly richen it, but its just critical IMO (In My Opinion) to have a temp gauge because as you make your HSN adjustments you can hold the gauges button down for live temp changes and literally after you drive it around till about half a tank just stop it and check the temps and slowly richen the HSN and watch the temp slowly decrease untill you feel happy with that temp.

Then go and drive around again, and see what that temp says. if its upwards of 270 while its idling and your holding the temp gauge right over your head and depending on how high it is will determine weather or not you need to Lean or richen.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're getting good speed and throttle response at 215 you're doing good because you're still running cool. I wouldnt worry about it until you're over 250. Also, the 5.9 engines are usually nothing but problems anyway. Most of them on a new XL truck can't be tuned well enough to get to third gear.

Really 225 is ok. That is good to hear, it seems like I read somewhere that 180+ was too hot, and yes it does hit all 3 gears so I guess I will keep it where its at.

Thanks a bunch

I run my XL and it hits all three gears while keeping the temps around 240. I did have a problem with it looking for fuel(machine gunning) after I let off of the throttle during a high speed run, so I sealed the engine. Now I can still run 240 or so and hit all three gears with it not machine gunning. 180 is not nowhere even hot for a .12 let alone a .36.

Ok cool thats exactly what I needed to know.
Thanks everyone now I can actually run it and not be worried about overheating it or blowing it up !

The heat sinks on the engine plates and motor mounts really don't help with heat. The thicker plate though is good,the stock one is prone to cracking.

Temp wise it's 280+ is when you're starting to get too lean.

215-225 and you're worried about overheating? Most engines run at 250 or higher. I keep mine around or just below 270. Like Racer said 280+ is when you should start to worry.

The HPI book said not to go over 180. I am new to the hobby so I tried to keep it as close to that as possible but it just ran so horrible. Sorry for believing HPI. lol

Back