Savage Tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRXaddict

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Usually when it comes to tuning any issue that occurs i usually can get it running properly. But right now I'm having a slight issue.

So the last time i was driving the savage it was lasting about a whole tank not getting over 230 degrees and the ambient temp was about 75 80. Today it was a little cooler i believe 54 degrees out and the body was on no cut outs for air flow just the stock body.

Had it dialed in running great, idling perfect, wheelies on command, thin trail of smoke. And i just stop it infront of me to check how much gas i have and its about half full now and i figure why not check the temp while it still here. It reads 263 f so i immediately shut it off and let it cool down for 10 mins till it was about 80 degrees. before i start it i just richen the HSN alittle and wont even idle for a second.. try to lean it out slightly more and idles just alittle better. Then leaned the LSN just a small 1/8th turn and its running again perfect and I'm just driving it around till I'm about almost out of my tank and its right back up to 240 and i know if i would have kept driving till empty tank it would have been 250 +.

It almost seems like if i want the truck to run right it over heats.. I live about 4500 ft above sea level so i can't really go to stock needle settings or ill flood right off the bat. I'm making my needle adjustments in small increments yet if i want it to run optimal it will just over heat.. I really dont wanna sacrifice power for cooler running but maybe I'm missing something that's right in front of me.

I use a duratrax flash point infrared temp gauge and this is about my 3rd tank after break in. Could there be some sort of drag on the drive train ? it doesn't seem so when I'm driving or roll the truck on the ground it just rolls freely and the spur gear spins fine as well.

So any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kody

Savage XL Tuning

Kody
I'm new to the RC trucks and have a savage xl and due to my lack of knowledge have had to depend on the help of folks that run these on a daily basis. First of all, HPI recommends 20 to 25% fuel; however, everyone around here that is running big blocks are using 30%. It runs cooler and lubes better.
I fly planes, which run far less temperatures than the trucks do, since they are air cooled. These critters have very little air movement through the body and it stands to reason that the higher elevation would contribute a lot to the running temperature. At my hobby shop, the questions was brought up about proper tuning and the owner replied that a national truck champion told him that he always tunes the low speed needle first to 150 or so and then the high speed needle. His results 150 at idle and 230 at full throttle. This sound strange and not what your manual says; however, it worked for me. My issues are getting the brakes to work properly without adversely affecting the throttle. I'm may look at the servos which allow the throttle and brakes to work independently.
This is just advice I have been given. I still have a lot to learn...

Ray:)

Usually when it comes to tuning any issue that occurs i usually can get it running properly. But right now I'm having a slight issue.

So the last time i was driving the savage it was lasting about a whole tank not getting over 230 degrees and the ambient temp was about 75 80. Today it was a little cooler i believe 54 degrees out and the body was on no cut outs for air flow just the stock body.

Had it dialed in running great, idling perfect, wheelies on command, thin trail of smoke. And i just stop it infront of me to check how much gas i have and its about half full now and i figure why not check the temp while it still here. It reads 263 f so i immediately shut it off and let it cool down for 10 mins till it was about 80 degrees. before i start it i just richen the HSN alittle and wont even idle for a second.. try to lean it out slightly more and idles just alittle better. Then leaned the LSN just a small 1/8th turn and its running again perfect and I'm just driving it around till I'm about almost out of my tank and its right back up to 240 and i know if i would have kept driving till empty tank it would have been 250 +.

It almost seems like if i want the truck to run right it over heats.. I live about 4500 ft above sea level so i can't really go to stock needle settings or ill flood right off the bat. I'm making my needle adjustments in small increments yet if i want it to run optimal it will just over heat.. I really dont wanna sacrifice power for cooler running but maybe I'm missing something that's right in front of me.

I use a duratrax flash point infrared temp gauge and this is about my 3rd tank after break in. Could there be some sort of drag on the drive train ? it doesn't seem so when I'm driving or roll the truck on the ground it just rolls freely and the spur gear spins fine as well.

So any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kody

hey, i found this post by Rolex and it helped me tune my savage x 4.6 to work really well. go through the flow chart and it should solve any problem. https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

There is nothing wrong with 250-270. Sounds like you just need to richen it up a touch. As long as it stays under 270 you are good. If i bring it in and its 260 I give it a 1/8 turn out and make a lap and check it again. Does not sound like anything out of the norm

Kody
I'm new to the RC trucks and have a savage xl and due to my lack of knowledge have had to depend on the help of folks that run these on a daily basis. First of all, HPI recommends 20 to 25% fuel; however, everyone around here that is running big blocks are using 30%. It runs cooler and lubes better.
I fly planes, which run far less temperatures than the trucks do, since they are air cooled. These critters have very little air movement through the body and it stands to reason that the higher elevation would contribute a lot to the running temperature. At my hobby shop, the questions was brought up about proper tuning and the owner replied that a national truck champion told him that he always tunes the low speed needle first to 150 or so and then the high speed needle. His results 150 at idle and 230 at full throttle. This sound strange and not what your manual says; however, it worked for me. My issues are getting the brakes to work properly without adversely affecting the throttle. I'm may look at the servos which allow the throttle and brakes to work independently.
This is just advice I have been given. I still have a lot to learn...

Ray:)

Usually for the brake test you should be able to be from full throttle to full brake and it should idle. If it doesn't. its really a matter of throttle trim and idle screw and the right adjustments took me alittle while to get used to the savage.. I've been traxxas most the time but i mean the savages carb is identical to the trx just had to get used to it.

Also, for some reason the only local hobby shop gives me trouble and does not respect my opinions and selections of products i like. I was going to get 30% and he kept insisting that i do not run 30% and it almost felt like he wouldnt even sell me 30%. Then i asked for air filter oil and he then insisted i do not use air filter oil and that i use just nitro a few drops in the filter and to let it dry and the oil residue should be left behind leaving the right amount of oil. but i listened to him and it did not work well. the filter is barley lubed from that but fortunately i have the extra pre oiled filter. i dont plan on doing business with them any more. But i thank you alot for the advice.

hey, i found this post by Rolex and it helped me tune my savage x 4.6 to work really well. go through the flow chart and it should solve any problem. https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

Thanks i will read up on it.. I got it to run properly now with out getting over 250 and I'm happy now but i will read up and study more. nothing like refreshing.

There is nothing wrong with 250-270. Sounds like you just need to richen it up a touch. As long as it stays under 270 you are good. If i bring it in and its 260 I give it a 1/8 turn out and make a lap and check it again. Does not sound like anything out of the norm

I guess I'm just very picky with my temps and always listen to factory recommendations. For instance since the manual says not to let it reach over 250 i usually will stick it that advice mainly because the company usually knows whats best for their vehicles.

I have sorted it out, i have my brake test working, idles smooth, has power , thin trail of smoke, temps not over 250 witch I'm happy with and just is running right in my opinion. Now I'm able to have fun with out getting to dangerous temps . because like i mentioned before last time if i were t drive it through the full tank i probably would have been upwards of 300 f and thats what i was worried about.

It does seem very sensitive to temps.. that day it was in the 50's or mid 40's and was just not running the best. but today was about 65 and just ran like a dream and just had to richen the HSN just alittle and I'm happy.

Thank you for the response, i probably will feel safe with temps around 260 or so but i will try to avoid it and run at a comfy 240.

Man I dont get concerened till the temps go above 285. I usually try to keep it around or below 270. These engines are a lot tougher than what the manufactures would have you believe.