Savage Starting Problems...Won't Crank.."HELP"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_m63

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Tried to breakn in my new savage today, it won't crank, when piston gets to the top it locks up. I removed the heat sink and found four 4 spacer/washers, do i need that many, please check pic...Thanks...

It's new, it's tight, it's rich.
Loosen the glow plug enough to let off a little compression and when it starts tighten it up. That should get you through the stubborn break in.

It's new, it's tight, it's rich.
Loosen the glow plug enough to let off a little compression and when it starts tighten it up. That should get you through the stubborn break in.

Please check the pic

Attachments

• Savage4.6.jpg
    Savage4.6.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 93
What you indicate as coming up with the piston is the sleeve, since the head is not there to hold it down.
4 washers is very odd. If it's the 4.6 like I have, it should only have one. The added washers will actually reduce the compression, so you just might want to leave them in during the break in.

Yep 4.6 engine..Four Washers...and yes the piston will actually push the sleeve out. So do i really need the four washers there?

Not if you'll be running 20%.

yes i put 20% fuel. But if i have less washers i will have more compression right, which means more difficult to start. Also when i removed the heat sink i turn the flywheel and couldn't get it to go up and down, it is so freaking hard to on top...Any more ideas...

Don't mess with the head shims!!

Heat the engine to 200F+ before you start it.

Don't mess with the head shims!!

Heat the engine to 200F+ before you start it.

a friend told me to that, i just wasn't to sure, will the heat cause the sleeve to expand enough to crank?

I suggested earlier that you leave the washers in place to make the starting a little easier during break in. It's possible that a change in the head or glow plug makes it necessary to run 4, but I'm not familiar with it.
Heating the head will expand the sleeve, and again, loosen the glow plug slightly to relieve some compression to make starting easier during the break in period.

I suggested earlier that you leave the washers in place to make the starting a little easier during break in. It's possible that a change in the head or glow plug makes it necessary to run 4, but I'm not familiar with it.
Heating the head will expand the sleeve, and again, loosen the glow plug slightly to relieve some compression to make starting easier during the break in period.

Thanks' guys, i already purchase a heat gun and will heat the engine to at least 200f. Will it make a difference if i pointed from the sides or the top...Tomorrow will be in the 60s nice temp from break in...Wish me Luck

Well i used my new heat gun and heated the engine to about 200f, after that it it was easy to to crank but no start yet...I think i overflow the engine, also the freaking fuel lines don't help, its kind of hard to see the flow of fuel...So what's the best way to prime this engines...

I like just putting my finger over the exause and cranking it a few times, I never even use my prime button anymore

Is there a primer for the savage? Did i tell you guys i hate the roto start, i rather have the pull start..At least with the pull start i can feel the compression.

Good news, i finally started my X. Still not finish with the break in but so far i like what i hear, pretty loud lol. Too bad i overchaged my NIC battery and melted the whole casing and part of the kitchen chair. Will it be too hard to install a pull start, and get rid off the Roto Mechanism?

I would run a gallon or so through it, first. You think it's hard to start now, try tuggin' a rope through that pinch without breaking it. Get it broke in and tuned properly before worrying about changing anything. And remember, don't leave batteries charging unattended.:snooty:

I would run a gallon or so through it, first. You think it's hard to start now, try tuggin' a rope through that pinch without breaking it. Get it broke in and tuned properly before worrying about changing anything. And remember, don't leave batteries charging unattended.:snooty:

I learned my lesson on battery, I will never put them on top of burnable stuff...

What kind of battery and charger are you using?

Battery is a>> Tower Hobbies 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh NiCd Stick Std Plug
charger is a>> Tower Hobbies 420 AC/DC 6-7 Cell Charger

My battery was almost charge and i made the dumb mistake to redial another 5 to 10 minutes on the charger...I live, i learned...

I didn't purchase those items, they came with the car.

Back