Savage 4.6 keeps on dying

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp1981

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Guys

So I bought my first Nitro RC ever. The savage 4.6.

Gathered some tips from the RC shop salesman but when I got home I pretty much forgot everything due to excitement :hehe:

Read through the manual and watched the DVD.

I then proceeded with the break in. The first 2 tanks on idle went okish. Car died on me a couple of times. Probably about 10 times.
The 3rd tank was better, I finally got to move the thing :hehe:. I did it as per the instructions, half throttle for 2-3 seconds and then stop...and so on.
When the tank was almost empty I stopped and noticed the car does not move when standing still. I thought great, so far so good.
Killed the engine and let it cool down completely.

Tank 4. Car started first time with no problems. But suddenly it doesn't stand still anymore. It was moving forward in a very slow pace. I then gave it a bit of some power and bam it would die on me. Start up again. Same story. It will start, but as soon as I put it down and slowly accelerate it will die on me. Tried about 5 times.

It is not backfiring, as I dont hear a pop. It just dies and makes a "click" sound. Same sound when it died during the first 2 tanks.

It started raining so I gave up. I live at the cost and it is currently coldish here Cape Town. 8-14 degrees celcius.

Any ideas what it could be? :first_place:

Last edited:
Ok. So today it didint do it. Had another 2 tanks and cooled it down.
3rd tank I started tuning. Boy oh boy does this thing fly. Never went into second, so this afternoon I will hit gear tuning :first_place:

fine adjust on the throttle for the forward crawling at idle. Yes sounds like you just needed to tune it. Factory set spec for carb & throttle is set VERY rich

Rich = too much fuel
Lean = not enough fuel

never went into 2nd gear??? don't be scared! lol let her rip! or get into a BIGGER area.

count on flipping it a few times too! :D

Glad to see u got it running!

Not hitting second is a comman thing with new trucks that aren't tuned or fully broken in yet. Second gear requires more rpm's from the engine. Give her a couple more tanks and lean out the hsn in 1/12 increments (think hour hands on a clock). As u already know stock needles are very rich and requires a lot of tunning for the truck to come alive. I wouldn't touch the shift points just yet, continue to tune and slowly lean her out and listen for second and make sure u keep checking the temps often. If u get it to the point where u feel like it's fully broken it and tuned for performance and still not hitting second it could be a clutch paw issue, the set screw has been known to back it's way out. If thats the case pull the top cover of the tranny and check and tighten all the set screw with thread lock. Adjusting the shift points is the last thing u want to do, first any formost u have to make sure the tranny's staring out in first gear and shifting in to second.

Keep us posted man, let us know how everything goes wheather u got second or not.

Last edited:
also what radio gear are you running as you dont want a run away

2.4GHZ ( short antenna )
AM/FM ( long antenna )

if you have AM invest in a fail safe and set it up if you have 2.4GHZ some have one built in so be sure to set it up, ( will save alot of heart ach and cash )

never went into 2nd gear??? don't be scared! lol let her rip! or get into a BIGGER area.

count on flipping it a few times too! :D

I was scared in the beginning ;)

Keep us posted man, let us know how everything goes wheather u got second or not.

Took her out yesterday for another 3 tanks. I can feel she is getting nippier. But no second gear yet.

also what radio gear are you running as you dont want a run away

2.4GHZ ( short antenna )
AM/FM ( long antenna )

if you have AM invest in a fail safe and set it up if you have 2.4GHZ some have one built in so be sure to set it up, ( will save alot of heart ach and cash )

I have the one it came with. Short antenna 2.4GhZ. Fail safe was the first thing I setup as the salesman told me some horror stories about not having it in place :D

Will keep you guys updated. Can't wait to go take her for bash on our motocross track :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Like mentioned already, you seem to be running rich...leaning it might just "wake up" your second gear

Like mentioned already, you seem to be running rich...leaning it might just "wake up" your second gear

I think I'm running it very lean. If I go leaner the engine starts to cut out on WOT.

So.. Went out today to give the puppy another spin. Lost one of the long pins that holds the axles. The rear right one.

Phoned my RC dealer and he is like, "hihihi..Yea that happens, come stop by and I'll give you a new one."

Got there and he gave me one. He asked how is going otherwise. I told him the issue I'm facing. He said no probs, bring the car in and he will have a look. He then tuned it for me and he adjusted the gear ratio. Finally, my second gear kicks in and this beast is faster than ever. He really took his time and showed every step he did so I could follow.

Anyhow, as he raced it up and down the road, the throttle/brake servo gave in. Luckily while in low rpms :D. He is like, yea, these stock servers and nodded his head. He replaced it with a HPI SF-1.

Went home and took it for spin on a farm. We stay very close to one. So much fun, she just screams for action. 3/4 tank down the line, car won't steer anymore :(. Servo NO 2 that went.

Back to shop.. He then replaced it with a Towerpro MG996R.

What a day. Can't wait to take her out again :D

Are those servers any good? He replaced them free of charge ;)

Just a pic of when I lost the pin.
e2a4a4ah.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced my throttle Servos with with a Futaba and will replace my steering with an Align. I forget the model numbers (at work...bah), the Futaba has been working very well and the Align i have one in my buggy and it is very fast and strong.

Awesome man!

Yea the stock servos seem to only last a few tanks... They're pure crap to say the least...

Glad to hear ur lhs took care of all ur problems, u don't really hear about that kind of customer service too often from hobby shops.

I think I'm running it very lean. If I go leaner the engine starts to cut out on WOT.

Sorry man, was just trying to help out to pinpoint the problem. Because it really sounded like being too rich...hows your temperature range at?

Sorry man, was just trying to help out to pinpoint the problem. Because it really sounded like being too rich...hows your temperature range at?

I don't have a temp gun yet. I'm using the spit test and all seems fine.

Currently it's cool around here. I will definitely opt in for a temp gun when the summer is back, as it gets very hot here.

Now I am facing a new issue.

Both servos cut out when I steer hard to the right or left. They only cut out for about 1-2 seconds and all is back to normal again.

I can see on the receiver that when I steer all the way to the left or to the right, the red light goes off, nothing moves, red light flashes, and all is back to normal.

Any ideas?

NVM. Changed the batteries and all is good again :).

Seems like the servos and batteries are crap that come standard with the car :D

Yea buddy all the stock electronics are crap...

I didnt even bother to use any of the stock stuff when i bought my truck, they went straight to the auction block on ebay...

Sold them as a package deal and made $45 bucks :)

Yea buddy all the stock electronics are crap...

I didnt even bother to use any of the stock stuff when i bought my truck, they went straight to the auction block on ebay...

Sold them as a package deal and made $45 bucks :)

What remote do you use? Which one would you recommend over the stock one?

I sold the tf-40 and the radio box with both the throttle and break servos along with the reciever still mounted in there too so I needed to buy all the electronics for the truck.

Honestly anything is better then stock. I bought Savox servos and a Futaba 4Pl, expensive but really nice. I'd recommend a Spektrum Dx3c, Futaba 3pl or Airtronics mx-v. Those are all in the $100 range and wayyy nicer then the tf-40. If u want something a little more budget friendly check out the Futaba 3prka or Spektrum Dx2e, those go for about $60 bucks with reciver.

What do you think of the FS GTC3C?

Read some reviews and it seems like a decent entry level with decent settings.

If you're just a backyard basher and new to this hobby; I don't think getting a new controller is going to change your world much. The stock stuff works just fine for me. Just my humble opinion but if you do want to upgrade I would consider buying the tf-40 from you.