rustler vxl project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksrichard

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So a dude i met had a totally beaten vxl he gave to me with dnyx 230 w/o power cord.
Should be able to pick one up at walmart. The truck needs rear end help. Slipper clutch, pinion gear, shocks,tower, drive shafts, knuks. Should be fun.The battery
Is a SMC LI-PO 8000MAH 7.4V 59.2Wh 20c hp. I dont think its the right one. Will it work?
Should cost less than $100. Feedback on battery is appreciated. I'm sure ill
Have more questions. Thanks.

$100 sounds about right. An 8000mah battery will be pretty expensive almost anywhere you buy one.

An 8000mAh will most likely be to thick to fit in the battery tray with the standard 2S strap. Id check the measurements on the pack and see if its the same as a standard 2S gensacearespammers 5000mah hard pack. Thats about as big as you can go without getting the 3S conversion for it.

Battery does fit. So far $75. For parts. Thats all i see for now. Will assemble tonight

$75 later this thing is fast...i love nitro but I'm impressed.

Very nice.. Runs ok. I have some minor things to fix then to lhs to see whats next.

How do i set the slipper clutch?

So if i want more speed i need a different battery? Not bigger motor? I bought pro-line dirt hawg tires
In one charge i have peices missing on tires. Any ideas on better rubber?

What surface are you wanting to run it on? Dirt Hawgs are good off-road tire.

On/off,mostly on road. I bought dirt hawgs. Lhs said they are good tires. Missing peices after 2days.
Need something heavy duty. That was a waste of $40.

I have JConcepts Barcodes on my 2wd Slash, they came on it when I bought it. I have been running it on pavement lately and they have held up nicely.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...JConcepts-Bar-Codes-Short-Course-Tires-Gold-2

I wanna try Panther Rattler tires, same design as the Barcodes but from what I hear Panther has a better compound for their tires.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...nther-Rattler-Short-Course-Truck-Tires-Clay-2

---------- Post added at 5:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 5:24 AM ----------

So if i want more speed i need a different battery? Not bigger motor? I bought pro-line dirt hawg tires
In one charge i have peices missing on tires. Any ideas on better rubber?

A 3s Lipo will give you more speed. But a different gearing setup could help you out too. My 2wd Slash has a 20/84 gearing in it and I am only using a 2s Lipo battery, its pretty fast.

With 3S you're gonna have to watch your temps and if you use an aggressive tread patterned tire like badlands or something like that you will snap stock axles left and right. Id contact Proline and tell them what happened to your tires and get replacements. They shouldnt do that and it doesn't have to be a waste since they are under warranty

Thanks again.. I never thought id like battery power over nitro. So much user friendly. After all my
Research I'm gonna make what i have better. I think. Just need to learn a little about
Brushless moters, gearing and batteries. I didnt know about warranty. THANKS . I'm running 86t 48p slipper
48p 25t pinion. I think thats stock. Pretty quick for me. Compared to tmaxx 2.5. 20/84 thats more top
End right? Did you lose a lot of power? Can you stil do wheelies?

I'm assuming that proline has a warranty period against defective tires that are new. Id check with them and see at the very least.

Electrics and nitros both have their pros and cons. I like them both for varying reasons. I have a long winded multi-part video series designed for beginners with electrics. I go over all kinds of stuff about motors, ESCs, Lipos, gearing, and just about anything else you might want to know. I have them all posted up in a different sub forum, heres the link.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100513

Hope this helps.

To figure your final drive use this equation.

Spur Gear/ Pinion Gear x 2.72= Final Drive

The higher the number for your final is gonna give you more off the line acceleration, the lower the number is gonna give you more top speed.

So for example. My gears are 20/84. So

84/20x2.72= 11.424

Thanks. Ill check out link before i ask more questions.