rustler vxl low voltage issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksrichard

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm running stock motor and esc with fan. 76/31 gearing. I only do 1-2 speed runs at a time letting it cool. Once i hit 3/4 throttle esc blinks slow red,low voltage shutdown. Then it will run at 50% until its reset. Whats causing this? I always charge and balance batteries before every run. Its fine on 7.4v 5800. But low volt detection when i run 11.1v 4100.
Any ideas. Manuel says gearing ok.

I could see a thermal code ,fast red. Due to tall gearing. Its clearly low voltage. What am i missing?

Cogging? Ill look that one up. Lol

---------- Post added at 6:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:47 PM ----------

No hesitation. Motor snappy. Guess ill see what the lhs says. Thanks rc freind. . New anacondas on all 4S. RPM caster blocks n bearing holders. New bearings. This is a tough one :\...

I had thermal problems on my mERV running 3s until I dropped a tooth on the pinion.

I ran this setup before and hit 56mph. Now it shuts down to 50%. Is my esc going bad?. I want fast
Id rather get a bigger motor/esc combo than gear down. Hafta save a bit.

Your 3s lipo could be going bad. Call traxxas tomorrow and ask them. Their tech support is good. They may tell you to send it in and they'll replace it.

I had a castle sidewinder and 3800kv combo in my Rusty once and when Id try and do speed runs on 3S with it, it would start off fine but at a certain point during the acceleration it would just start choking and running as if it were cogging. I changed the ESC out to a Hobbywing SC8 120A ESC and I no longer had that issue....it sounds similar to what yours is doing.

Last edited:
As for the battery, now its doing it on 2s. 3 batteries same prob. Thanks for your help though.
Greywolf74, I'm not sure about cogging but sounds very similar.. Starts fine 1/2-3/4 throttle i can here the motor drop. Its a slow blink red, which cuts the power to 50%. I've been having different issues with the esc. My reverse prob.. Now this.. Time to upgrade. The only thing i havnt upgraded to rpm is the front tower. Using anacondas on all 4. Saving for jaco foams. When i change the esc should i change the motor too? Do you recomend the combo you posted above?

The vxl are known to have issues like that. That's why I suggested calling them. They will send you a new one

You could try to get a replacement from Traxxas as mentioned above but if you want to upgrade and run on 3S Id get a larger ESC. Something like the HW SC8 or if you want something more programable you could go with a MMP. If you want to do speed runs but stay with 1/10 scale electronics Id switch out the Spur to one of the nitro revo spurs and then buy a 4 pole 550 can SCT motor like a 4000kv Tenshock sc401.

Calling traxxas in am.. Replacement will get me going till i upgrade.