Running your rc car dry?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanw23

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, I have seen a lot of different things saying to not run your 1/5 scale gas powered rc car dry and seeing things that say you need to run it dry. Just wondering if there is a right way and a wrong way for storing gas in your 1/5 rc car

1st I always mix my gas with a fuel stabilizer. I try to run my tank near empty but not always possible if you break something while running. I guess you could always buy a hand/electric pump or unscrew the tank and remove the unused fuel but I have never done that and my cars start right up after months of storage. If ever possible if you could find ethanol free fuel that would be a plus to use.

I always treated it like a lawn mower or weed eater. If I was putting it away for an extended amount of time, I'd empty the tank and run it until the carb was dry. Especially with 2 cycles to avoid having the fuel evaporate and leave excess oil behind in everything.

I always treated it like a lawn mower or weed eater. If I was putting it away for an extended amount of time, I'd empty the tank and run it until the carb was dry. Especially with 2 cycles to avoid having the fuel evaporate and leave excess oil behind in everything.
Everyone has their way of doing it but I do the same thing for my lawn equipment and still no problem starting after sitting with a full tank over the winter. Fuel stabilizer is the key.

Never used that, probably would have been easier. It works fine with mixed gas?

Pretty sure my buddy that has a couple old cars he stores in the winter uses that.

Never used that, probably would have been easier. It works fine with mixed gas?

Pretty sure my buddy that has a couple old cars he stores in the winter uses that.
Yeah I use Stabil or Star Tron in my 67, 80, lawn equip, and 2stroke RCs. When I fill up the gallon gas can I put the stabilizer in then. Then I mix in my 2stroke oil. No problems so far??

Back