Roto Start for AE motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzle67

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
My pull string broke. Dont really wanna buy a used one. Looking into other starting options.
I want to put a roto start on my AE .15 motor.
Has anyone done this or is this an optional way to start my pull start motor.

Yes ! Sullivan S680 and starter wand. Use a 2 speed Drill.

agreed with above, double check wich back-plate you have though, i want to say the early style ones used an internal OWB, and the later version uses the external type.
so either S689/S691 (check starter shaft protruding from the engine) for the vertical start system, S704 for the inline style if it is internal OWB,
OR S680 for the vertical, and S702 for the inline for the External OWB.

This is the motor on question.

Attachments

• 20210322_194800.jpg
    20210322_194800.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 69
This is the motor on question.
sorry OWB = One way Bearing. yours is the later style, so you want S680, or S702 depending on what orientation you want the starter shaft to come in at. (straight in from the back compared to the engine itself, or at a 90 degree angle to the backplate.), typically I've seen the S702 (inline) on the RC10gts, but the 90 degree one (s680) should work as well.

Thanks a lot. Want to get this thing running. It has other little issues that need to be sorted before startup. can't figure those with it not running.

That can be started with out buying anything ,all you need is the O-way bearing ,cordless
drill an a 1/4 drive extension with a 13mm socket ,that is how I start some of my engines!.. :cool:

Watch this vid ,it shows how I start mine!

Loose the bearing and ???? The sullivan tiger drive protects the one-way bearing and you don't loose it. HAHA. Ever Heard of priming the engine?? 6 minutes to start a engine is toooo long. You live in Cali you don't need a heat gun. I never use one.

@cbaker65. This is genius. This is what I was looking for. Now only question. Without a cover plate could there be a leak in the motor?

There shouldnt be ,because having a starter system on there doesn't seal it anyway!
If it leaks real bad at the bushing ,then the backplate needs replaced ,I start my CVR 18
on my AE RC 10 gt that way too!
Some platforms you the engine position ,you can't get a starter rod into ,the tiger drive
set up is angled upward an is a good starter set up though!..:cool:

Loose the bearing and ???? The sullivan tiger drive protects the one-way bearing and you don't loose it. HAHA. Ever Heard of priming the engine?? 6 minutes to start a engine is toooo long. You live in Cali you don't need a heat gun. I never use one.
If you noticed ,the glow plug was shot an had to replace it ,it is still kind of cold here an if
you noticed on my vids ,I dont use the heat gun all the time!

Hate it when people run their mouth about people that dont know them or
their back ground!...

I will use this little hack for now so I can get my car tuned. So for less worry I will then put a Tiger on. This is a good little hack. Which way is the drill turning tighten or loosen?

There shouldnt be ,because having a starter system on there doesn't seal it anyway!
If it leaks real bad at the bushing ,then the backplate needs replaced ,I start my CVR 18
on my AE RC 10 gt that way too!
Some platforms you the engine position ,you can't get a starter rod into ,the tiger drive
set up is angled upward an is a good starter set up though!..:cool:
No cover on the back can cause dirt to build up and ruin the backplate bushing faster.

I did
If you noticed ,the glow plug was shot an had to replace it ,it is still kind of cold here an if
you noticed on my vids ,I dont use the heat gun all the time!

Hate it when people run their mouth about people that dont know them or
their back ground!...i
Priming the engine is the first thing you do before putting on the glow plug ignitor. You never did it for 6 minutes! Stating the obvious fact. Your glow plug ignitor should have had a meter on it showing the plug was bad?????

I will use this little hack for now so I can get my car tuned. So for less worry I will then put a Tiger on. This is a good little hack. Which way is the drill turning tighten or loosen?

I did

Priming the engine is the first thing you do before putting on the glow plug ignitor. You never did it for 6 minutes! Stating the obvious fact. Your glow plug ignitor should have had a meter on it showing the plug was bad?????

An again ,you dont pay attention ,I did prime it before I put the glow igniter ,that is also the reason why I
use clear or a see through fuel tubing ,so I can see the fuel going into the carb ,also ,my meter is unpredictable
as it is damaged ,My glow plug was fouled from break-in an the glow igniter is 12 years old!..

I DID
An again ,you dont pay attention ,I did prime it before I put the glow igniter ,that is also the reason why I
use clear or a see through fuel tubing ,so I can see the fuel going into the carb ,also ,my meter is unpredictable
as it is damaged ,My glow plug was fouled from break-in an the glow igniter is 12 years old!..
I DID! You first heated the engine. Which is useless. Second you primed the engine then you stopped .Third you put the glow plug ignitor on and tried starting engine. You should have primed the engine 1-2 more times with the glow plug ignitor on. Then after 6 minutes you discovered glow plug was bad. I would have known the plug was bad right away with a glow plug meter. which is more accurate.:doh:

I DID

I DID! You first heated the engine. Which is useless. Second you primed the engine then you stopped .Third you put the glow plug ignitor on and tried starting engine. You should have primed the engine 1-2 more times with the glow plug ignitor on. Then after 6 minutes you discovered glow plug was bad. I would have known the plug was bad right away with a glow plug meter. which is more accurate.:doh:

Why dont you get a life rather than judging others!

I been running RC's for years ,an never have ask for peoples help or opinions on my stuff ,the engine runs
fine an I will still enjoy running it ,same as all the other old stuff that I have ,so ,I will still have fun running
my stuff an putting out vids with a big ass smile on my face!...

tighten/clockwise, when your tiger drive comes in, if you get the inline version it will spin reverse rotation because there is a gear drive.
i personally dont like to run without the starter housing, whether it be a backplate, pullstart, rotostart, tigerdrive etc, being on, but as above, people run it like that with no issues.
I will still have fun running my stuff an putting out vids with a big ass smile on my face!...
definitely keep the vids coming! i need to catch up on the last few videos you put up!