Rock Racers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

King of Bling
Reaction score
There is a guy that hangs out at my LHS. Cool dude who owns a ton of vehicles, but no Arrmas. I like to bring in my rigs in and show them to him. He actually asked me if they were as tough as their internet reputation states they are, lol. Anyway, one of the things he’s into is rock racing. He owns a Losi Rock Rey and loves it. He’s actually building it to compete in the spring. I’ve never been too excited about the notion of rock crawling. I like speed and I think I would find it boring. But a vehicle that can tackle obstacles with some speed intrigues me. I have a lot of woods on my property and a lot of it is uncleared. It’s loaded with rocks and tree limbs. I’m thinking a rock racer might be a nice change of pace from my collection of MT’s. Does anyone here own a rock racer or have any experience with the Rock Rey as a basher? I don’t think I’d ever compete. I’m just looking for something to blast around the woods.

I'm not sure a "by definition" rock racer would equate to bashing through the woods with twigs, tall grass, limbs, etc in it's path.
WhenI here "rock racer" I think of this:

1541689332684.png

I honestly can't believe I am typing this, but the best woods basher I have seen is an X-Maxx, I remember watching some video a while back where that thing just plowed thru grass, pencil sized saplings, branches etc.

It may be just the sheer size that aids it's ability too, but I personally don't recall seeing any videos of larger scale stuff in the woods except for the x-maxx, I doubt I would ever buy one because I refuse to support Traxxas and their lawsuit ways but to each their own.

TT

I has already watched the first video, lol. I would need to find a place to run a rig this big. This is definitely on my radar.

I bought a Yeti XL for exactly this thing.
I dont really climb, but love it for the sheer size and its ability to go over rough terrain that 1/10 stuff would get stuck on.
I see them as a good all rounder, capable of doing a bit of everything.

I see Losi makes a kit for the Rock Rey. I wonder if I could fit a Mamba Monster X and the 1512-2650 motor in it.

@bicketybam I bet this would go thru the woods well: https://kershawdesigns.com/Losi-MTXL-Brushless.htm

This is the LOSI 1/5th Monster Truck XL that they sell in Gas form, but this is conversion to brushless.

TT

Sadly Kershaw is not in business anymore (owner passed). We'll see if Nova Racing Products (the name of the new company taking up the business) still does all the products Kershaw did.

Hopefully they do, I still have an electric conversion I want to do with their parts.

Sadly Kershaw is not in business anymore (owner passed). We'll see if Nova Racing Products (the name of the new company taking up the business) still does all the products Kershaw did.

Hopefully they do, I still have an electric conversion I want to do with their parts.

Oh that's sad to hear, I have heard good things about their kits.
Nothing about it on their site all. Hopefully Nova keeps it going.

TT

I saw it last week at my LHS. It is a beast but $1300 is a little out of my range right now.

Also interested in a Super Rock Rey, they look sweet for all around bashing and off roading.

I built an axial spawn wraith kit to do exactly what you're wanting to do. I run the castle slate 3800kv combo in it. Does great anywhere I take it and the option of having a drag brake at the flip of a switch is great to. I didn't build it to do crawling, I wanted an all around versatile rig that would go practically anywhere, it's even all sealed up to be waterproof. The aftermarket parts support is plentiful and reasonable. I love this little rig and have lots of fun with it. The only thing I have broken on it is a link end sending it, not really meant for jumping but goes anywhere I want it to go even under water up to the roof......... Lol
20180817_203412.jpg
20171208_094753.jpg