Rock Racers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Step D done.

20181205_170213.jpg
20181205_170235.jpg

What’s the advantage of having a gearbox like this for the center diff? I’m just curious.

View attachment 24846
More gear reduction with a smaller diff gear? My guess...

You are burning thru the build. Stop taking pics and posting, and you would be done... LOL

(no, don't stop! we need pics!)

I'm taking a break, most likely for the night but we'll see ;)

I need to swap the servo with the one in my Notorious. The 1210SG wire is too short and the lead on the 1256TG is easily twice as long. I have to pull that damn top deck off my Notorious in order to get the servo out, which is why I'm packing it in. It's such a pain in the ass.

I'm also going to need to upgrade the servo horn. I thought the kit came with an aluminum one and it does not. It's that plastic piece of crap that breaks on everyone. Hopefully my LHS has one. I also need to change the connector on the Mamba X to the EC3 that Horizon loves. I'll also grab a new 3s battery for it with an EC3 connector.

The directions started out strong and by page 3 there were misprints everywhere. Wrong number of screws listed, etc. But nothing that had me stumped and this is my first ever kit. It looks like it's going to be a fun truck and something very different from what I am used to. Here is where I am at:

20181205_195051.jpg
20181205_195032.jpg
20181205_195040.jpg

Looking good @bicketybam !

Did you paint the cage and front lower panels gray or is that the color the kit comes? On my RTR that stuff is all black.

Are you going to paint the cage?

You are going to like this rig, it is a fun rig. So fun in fact, I really will have a hard time not getting a Super Rock Rey come spring, from videos, that unit looks like it will be great fun for a larger scale unit.

TT

Looking good @bicketybam !

Did you paint the cage and front lower panels gray or is that the color the kit comes? On my RTR that stuff is all black.

Are you going to paint the cage?

You are going to like this rig, it is a fun rig. So fun in fact, I really will have a hard time not getting a Super Rock Rey come spring, from videos, that unit looks like it will be great fun for a larger scale unit.

TT

Nothing is painted in those pictures. That is the way the kid came. The only thing I am painting is the roof panel and the body which comes unpainted.

Did your RTR come with working headlights? I'm not talkin about the light bar, but actual headlights. The kit comes with the inserts where they would go but I am not going to install them and just use the decals.

Nothing is painted in those pictures. That is the way the kid came. The only thing I am painting is the roof panel and the body which comes unpainted.

Did your RTR come with working headlights? I'm not talkin about the light bar, but actual headlights. The kit comes with the inserts where they would go but I am not going to install them and just use the decals.

No headlights, but it did provide some holders or mounts for them. Also came with a mount for a Spektrum FPV system.

TT

Sorry for late reply but I think I went with kit instructions on my diffs. Probably why it turns on a dime. Literally! I don't actually crawl with it so it is a blast this way.
I only upgraded with:
- Losi aluminum servo horn - stock one is a joke.
- SSD front diff housing - stock one will flex on 3s and cause gears to strip.
- SSD third member - 3s will destroy stock small bearings.
- Losi aluminum steering rack - Hot Racing may be just as good or better.

I hear that the front chamber link mount would be a good aluminum upgrade also due to it taking a while to get to it to repair.

Last edited:
Edited above post to explain upgrades.
Also I would put the Savox 1210 in whichever one you are gonna get the most water on. I bet that Mamba X will throw 7.4v at that servo too?!? Awesome setup for sure.