Rock Racers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you even think about a car from Traxx just go with the Yeti XL much stronger than X Maxx

How can you even think about a car from Traxx just go with the Yeti XL much stronger than X Maxx
Err... What?

This may be the first post I have ever seen saying the Yeti XL is stronger than any other RC... Are you talking a stock Y-XL, or one with 1k of mods in it?

So it looks like they have discontinued the Losi Rock Rey kit. I looked it up on Tower and it showed discontinued. Then I went to Horizon's website and it shows "no longer available" https://www.horizonhobby.com/products/LOS03016

My LHS had one in when I went on Monday and if it is still there today I am grabbing it. I wonder why they are getting rid of the kit??

So it looks like they have discontinued the Losi Rock Rey kit. I looked it up on Tower and it showed discontinued. Then I went to Horizon's website and it shows "no longer available" https://www.horizonhobby.com/products/LOS03016

My LHS had one in when I went on Monday and if it is still there today I am grabbing it. I wonder why they are getting rid of the kit??
That sucks as the Rock Rey kit was on my list of ones that I wanted. I think a lot of places are getting rid of kits. Most people would rather buy a RTR and start having fun immediately. Myself, I would prefer to buy all of my vehicles as kits with detailed assembly instructions so that I know how everything works and I know it's assembled right. The only problem is that kits normally don't include electronics, bodies, rims or tires so they get to be expensive really fast.

That sucks as the Rock Rey kit was on my list of ones that I wanted. I think a lot of places are getting rid of kits. Most people would rather buy a RTR and start having fun immediately. Myself, I would prefer to buy all of my vehicles as kits with detailed assembly instructions so that I know how everything works and I know it's assembled right. The only problem is that kits normally don't include electronics, bodies, rims or tires so they get to be expensive really fast.

They also make a bind and drive, or they used to. My biggest issue with rtr’s is that I never use the transmitters. Complete waste of money and you can’t give them away. So a bind and drive with a reduced price from the rtr is also appealing to me.

They also make a bind and drive, or they used to. My biggest issue with rtr’s is that I never use the transmitters. Complete waste of money and you can’t give them away. So a bind and drive with a reduced price from the rtr is also appealing to me.

This may be about the only advantage of the crappy Spektrum DX2E that Horizon loves to dump into RTR kits. Spektrum RX's are silly expensive, so you can at least sell the RX pretty easy...

So if I get one what will the parts support be for it for the next few years?

I bought a Rock Rey rtr and like it a lot. I backed the tires off and put axial 8 holes to make it wider. It was either that or buying 2 stage foams and stiffer sidewall tires, cause it flipped easily due to the soft tire sidewalls. You will need to purchase an aluminum servo horn due to the stock one stripping quickly. I bought 3s upgrades but still run it on 2s. This buggy turns sharper than any RC I have ever seen!

Uh, and I have an X-Maxx 8s and it is awesome! Stock form (except indestructible body). Enjoying it.

I bought a Rock Rey rtr and like it a lot. I backed the tires off and put axial 8 holes to make it wider. It was either that or buying 2 stage foams and stiffer sidewall tires, cause it flipped easily due to the soft tire sidewalls. You will need to purchase an aluminum servo horn due to the stock one stripping quickly. I bought 3s upgrades but still run it on 2s. This buggy turns sharper than any RC I have ever seen!

The kit comes with an aluminum servo horn.

What weight oil did you use for the center and front diffs? Shock oil weight?

Confirmed that the kit is no longer available, at least at the moment. My LHS couldn't order another.

Picked up my kit and a few things needed to come it. The Savox is the warranty replacement for the one that went up in smoke in my Notorious (I had a spare Savox 1256TG to put in it). The ESC and motor were originally in my first Mega Granite, then moved to my BRCC. Stock BLX100 is now back in the Big Rock. The RTR Rock Rey comes with a 130A ESC and a 2800Kv sensorless motor. I'm not sure what the amperage is of the Mamba X but I hope it will hold up. The motor is a sensored 2650 so I went up to a 14t pinion. Stock is 12t. I got a 3 channel receiver to pair with my Spektrum. I'm going to start on this today.

20181205_121229.jpg
20181205_121531.jpg

Confirmed that the kit is no longer available, at least at the moment. My LHS couldn't order another.

Picked up my kit and a few things needed to come it. The Savox is the warranty replacement for the one that went up in smoke in my Notorious (I had a spare Savox 1256TG to put in it). The ESC and motor were originally in my first Mega Granite, then moved to my BRCC. Stock BLX100 is now back in the Big Rock. The RTR Rock Rey comes with a 130A ESC and a 2800Kv sensorless motor. I'm not sure what the amperage is of the Mamba X but I hope it will hold up. The motor is a sensored 2650 so I went up to a 14t pinion. Stock is 12t. I got a 3 channel receiver to pair with my Spektrum. I'm going to start on this today.

View attachment 24829View attachment 24830
Looking at all of those bags of parts is making me really, really, really want to get another kit. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it completed.

Step A complete. The diffs are so tiny compared to the Arrma's. I'm thinking of upgrading the brake disks and maybe some carbon fiber pads ;)

20181205_141256.jpg
20181205_141337.jpg

Looks like step B is the solid rear axle.

20181205_141819.jpg

I see Losi makes a kit for the Rock Rey. I wonder if I could fit a Mamba Monster X and the 1512-2650 motor in it.
It's super cheap too, I'm really tempted. The Rock Rey is massive for something 1/10. Can't imagine the big one, probably like the Axial Yet 1/8, way bigger than most other 1/8 cars

My son gave me his broken Wraith last winter since he was into the SCX10 trail platform more. I slowly got this Wraith to the point I can bash it hard on 3s Brushless and it keeps asking for more ! being a cheap S.O.B. I've kept it fairly low buck staying away from big name brand stuff. I bash it in the woods in fine dust in the summer and snow in the winter. I recommend the 1/10 size for this, makes it easier to find places to rip it around.
I'm eye balling the YETI to do the same, after I get to know my new Notorious first. someday maybe someday I can make it fly and LAND wheels down !!
good luck in your new rig.
Wraith snow smaller.jpg

What’s the advantage of having a gearbox like this for the center diff? I’m just curious.

CDBD214C-42F8-4461-BF50-D0A1AB293D82.jpeg