Revo tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edde1982

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’m new in the nitro world and Just got me a new revo 3.3 a couple of weeks back. did the break in, Settings are at fabric, hsp 4 turns out and the lsp is at even with the edge of the slide valve. Using 16% Corelly fuel. When adjusting the hsp needle by only 1/16 it drives excellent super acceleration and shifting as it should. But now the thing is when using this setting the temperature gets between 150/160 degrees Celcius( not measured with a gun but from the sensor and read it of my dashboard)
When I turn it back it falls back in speed and no shifting. Do I need to cut a hole in the windshield? Or does it has anything to do about the lsp needle? Hope you guys can help me out.

That can't possibly accurate. I would purchase an infrared thermometer gun like this one.
Normally they should run between 82C and 150C, somewhere in that range.
heat gun.jpg

I’m new in the nitro world and Just got me a new revo 3.3 a couple of weeks back. did the break in, Settings are at fabric, hsp 4 turns out and the lsp is at even with the edge of the slide valve. Using 16% Corelly fuel. When adjusting the hsp needle by only 1/16 it drives excellent super acceleration and shifting as it should. But now the thing is when using this setting the temperature gets between 150/160 degrees Celcius( not measured with a gun but from the sensor and read it of my dashboard)
When I turn it back it falls back in speed and no shifting. Do I need to cut a hole in the windshield? Or does it has anything to do about the lsp needle? Hope you guys can help me out.
It sounds like it's running super lean... that's super hot....should be 240f-260f 270 tops...I think it might be the fuel your running. Only 16% nitro??
"What is "nitro" and what percentage of "nitro" should I run in my engine? | Traxxas" https://traxxas.com/support/What-nitro-and-what-percentage-nitro-should-I-run-my-engine

Last edited:
Yes I know about the percentage but i live in Europe and with the upcoming bs laws beeing made i think I really don’t have much of a choice. Does the 16% really makes the engine that much warmer? Somebody else told me that I maybe have an airleak somewhere

With A air leak you wouldn't have any compression. Which in return wouldn't allow you to start. With the 16% fuel. You will need to run a hot plug. With the 16% it's going to run HOT. What type of plug do you have the stock plug?

Oh well then that’s not a problem it starts and runs fine it’s only the temp that I’m worried about. Yes I’m using the stock plug

It sounds like it's running super lean... that's super hot....should be 240f-260f 270 tops...I think it might be the fuel your running. Only 16% nitro??
"What is "nitro" and what percentage of "nitro" should I run in my engine? | Traxxas" https://traxxas.com/support/What-nitro-and-what-percentage-nitro-should-I-run-my-engine

They dont allow that percentage in Europe ,besides wouldnt run that crap!..:thumbs-down:
Cut a hole in the windshield ,factory sets is harder on the engine ,220 to 240 degrees is ok as
you need heat soaked to expand the sleeve while running the engine!..:thumbs-up:

They dont allow that percentage in Europe ,besides wouldnt run that crap!..:thumbs-down:
Cut a hole in the windshield ,factory sets is harder on the engine ,220 to 240 degrees is ok as
you need heat soaked to expand the sleeve while running the engine!..:thumbs-up:
Still need to get different glow plug. The stock plugs aren't made to run with 16%. He can run it all day but with the HOT plugs. Not the med or cold. Which won't help with heat issue. Change to hot plugs/short . And drill or cut holes in windshield. Will help bring down the temps. Never said to use traxxas fuel. Just showed what the traxxas site said.. come on man you should know already I run O'Donnels fuel 33% nitro... LOL👍👍🤣🤣

A bit late but it was the glowplug! Using a lc3 now and it runs like a beast with a normal temp and without cutting holes in the windshield. Thx for the help!

Fantastic bud glad you got it running good.. Enjoy

I've had a 3.3 get up to 300F (148C) before... tuning is not my forte... but I can usually get engines to run decent and not be too hot. I ended up replacing the carb with one off an OS18TM I had on hand, then was able to get the same power out of it and the temps dropped 50 degrees. Must have had a crack or something in the carb sucking air. Tune was all over the map with it.

Oh well then that’s not a problem it starts and runs fine it’s only the temp that I’m worried about. Yes I’m using the stock plug
Welcome to the forum. So you leave over the pond correct? Asking because of the fuel. Your running a stock glow plug from traxxas? If so it's your glow plug bud.

Welcome to the forum. So you leave over the pond correct? Asking because of the fuel. Your running a stock glow plug from traxxas? If so it's your glow plug bud.
Scroll up a few posts bro. He changed plugs like you suggested before and fixed the issue :)

Theres a few of those posts floating around. The UK guys are having a bad time trying to figure out how to run on 16% nitro.
Oh yeah I know.. one of them tried to tell me. That the 16% fuel was fine.. and the LHS gave sold them the revo 3.3 or the Tmaxx or just got a tmaxx... ok well LHS is stup*d..
because well here's the thing. The Traxxas TRX nitros are designed to run on 20% or their 33% fuel NOT 16%.. And if you do have too. Then you need to change the glow plug to a hot plug. Or all your going to do is run over 300°..and smoke the engine. The LHS should know this.. its rite on traxxas web site...🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Oh yeah I know.. one of them tried to tell me. That the 16% fuel was fine.. and the LHS gave sold them the revo 3.3 or the Tmaxx or just got a tmaxx... ok well LHS is stup*d..
because well here's the thing. The Traxxas TRX nitros are designed to run on 20% or their 33% fuel NOT 16%.. And if you do have too. Then you need to change the glow plug to a hot plug. Or all your going to do is run over 300°..and smoke the engine. The LHS should know this.. its rite on traxxas web site...🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Don't they all come with a "hot" plug? I thought that was all traxxas had. Haven't bought a plug in a while... always used to buy odonnel ones anyway, except for the OS LC4 for my traxxas 3.3's, 18TM and 21TM. I run 25% though, so a bit cooler plug always worked better for me.

Wow... just looked at my old t-maxx 2.5 parts list and it lists the traxxas plugs as "medium". Had it in my head they always used "hot" plugs for some reason. Would have never gave it a second thought until now. 3231, 3232, 3232X... all listed as medium. Wonder what the differences are.

Don't they all come with a "hot" plug? I thought that was all traxxas had. Haven't bought a plug in a while... always used to buy odonnel ones anyway, except for the OS LC4 for my traxxas 3.3's, 18TM and 21TM. I run 25% though, so a bit cooler plug always worked better for me.

Wow... just looked at my old t-maxx 2.5 parts list and it lists the traxxas plugs as "medium". Had it in my head they always used "hot" plugs for some reason. Would have never gave it a second thought until now. 3231, 3232, 3232X... all listed as medium. Wonder what the differences are.
The 2.5. 2.5R. 3.3. Just the stamp on side of block. That's about it...
Yea it's a med plug from factory. That's why all the UK and European people are haven heat issues. Because they don't realize that... But the LHS guy should.....

The 4 original TRX glow plugs were:

3230 - Hot - supposed to be best for the pro .15
3231 - medium - supposed to be best for 2.5 & 2.5r
3232 - medium - supposed to be best for 3.3
3232x - medium super duty - supposed to be a long life 3232

info compliments of an old thread. joint effort from chickenman242 and 2revo1maxx