Reverse polarity damage? No issues so far.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luk3_val3ch

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently got my carpet car working and when I went to run it I plugged the leads in backwards. One was fully in and I just barely touch the bullet to the top of the port and a tiny stream of smoke came from the battery hole. I quickly removed the wires from the lipo. If it help I have a protek lihv and an onisiki esc. The + and - wires got super hot but did not melt the solders at the esc. The smoke came from the hot bullet melting part of the lipo case. The esc still works fine, and so does the lipo. The lipo takes a full charge and the esc can perform all functions properly. The cap pack appears to be good as well. The esc fan however got super hot after 10 minutes of running sitting still. The esc stayed cool though. Should I keep running the esc? Or could I cause more damage to say the motor or servo? Thanks.
image.jpg

The inside of the esc appears fine except for those few solders that are shiny and appear melted middle left middle 3 and bottom 3 it also smells Smokey or like burnt electronics but no visible burns.

Last edited:
run it many esc have reverse polarity protection these days . make a battery connection so you can reverse it again.

run it many esc have reverse polarity protection these days . make a battery connection so you can reverse it again.
Ok will do thanks. If there is damage and I continue to run it, could it damage the motor?

no it cannot damage the motor. in all esc it can only supply source voltage to motor ..

just did this to a 4800 lihv 2cell my son was tugging on my shirt asking me to hurry up. I managed to get both bullets completly into the battery and smoking ensued melted the negative lead thru the lihv back exposing insides :/ . esc and motor seem fine. smoked the battery though. that’s the quickest 100 bucks i’ve every burnt! haha

Back