Revamping the Slash 4x4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to reconsider that metal spur gear because if something gets wedged between the pinion and spur (as they always do in a Slash) then instead of the cheap plastic spur gear sacrificing itself something else much more expensive will break such as the motor bearing. I have that same motor ESC combo in our 4x4 Rustler. You will like it.

You might want to reconsider that metal spur gear because if something gets wedged between the pinion and spur (as they always do in a Slash) then instead of the cheap plastic spur gear sacrificing itself something else much more expensive will break such as the motor bearing. I have that same motor ESC combo in our 4x4 Rustler. You will like it.
Really? I've never seen anything but a little dust in that compartment with the spur/pinion. I know it's not a completely sealed area, but I don't see how anything that could wreck a spur gear can get in there, past the cover. I'm on the original spur, possibly the second and it's been run hard for a few years.

On my sons 4x4 slash he has stripped his plastic spur gear a few times from sand getting into the driveshaft area and working its way into the spur/pinion area. We are more careful now and try to avoid Sandy areas and we remove the inspection cover and use compressed air to blow out any debris that may get in there. Since then we haven’t had an issue but if some dirt does get by and get wedged in the gears we know the softer plastic spur gear will sacrifice itself instead of something else more expensive and harder to fix. I haven’t purchased one in a while but I think those 54 tooth plastic spur gears are only $3. I think this is more of an issue with the high center of gravity 4x4 slash than the Slash with the LCG chassis now.

There are some cars that come stock with metal spurs gears such as my sons Arrma Talion but knock on wood its been trouble free so far.

Ah, that makes sense about sand getting in there. I'm in dirt mainly but I'll definitely start pulling that cover more often to keep it cleaned out. Thanks for the info JC!

Ah, that makes sense about sand getting in there. I'm in dirt mainly but I'll definitely start pulling that cover more often to keep it cleaned out. Thanks for the info JC!
Not trying to beat a dead horse but thats why I almost never run metal spurs. Even if you dont get anything in your gears you can end up with the same type of issue if you end up having an issue somewhere else in your driveline. Say for example (true story) you get a bearing or 4 in your transmission or anywhere in your driveline thats either not spinning freely or maybe even locked up entirely. The extra drag produced will end up tearing up your cheap spur gear and after that happened a couple of times back to back in short order, I finally realized there was a deeper issue and when I tore the kit down I found a total of 4 seized/partially seized bearings. Once i replaced those then no more stripped spurs. Had I not sacrificed $9 worth of plastic spurs I not only wouldnt have realized I had a deeper rooted issue but once something finally fragged on it, it would have been way more costly than replacing 3 spur gears. Thats why I made my original comment about the metal spur. IJS :)

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I've soldered and I'm rusty, but I managed to get the ESC connectors on. Swapped the battery connectors as well.
Got the ESC/Motor mounted, wired up and powered it on, set the TX'er up.

Waiting on one bearing that will be here tomorrow, should be up and running this weekend, I hope.

It's been a long time since I've soldered and I'm rusty, but I managed to get the ESC connectors on. Swapped the battery connectors as well.
Got the ESC/Motor mounted, wired up and powered it on, set the TX'er up.

Waiting on one bearing that will be here tomorrow, should be up and running this weekend, I hope.
nice have fun dont forget
Bash, break, repeat

Yeah, the more you bash it the more it breaks. The more you break it the more you have to fix. The more you fix the better your soldering skills will get.

See how that works 😉😉

Took it out for a little cruise around the cul-de-sac yesterday. 3s takes a little getting used to for sure. Why is my Slash pulling wheelies?? 🤣
Got a nearby construction site to take it to for a little fun in the dirt. Hopefully I'll get over there later this week or weekend.

Try not to go into a construction site. I’m a Superintendant for a big company and a construction site is a very dangerous place especially if it’s fenced off and has signage to keep the public out. You could fall into a hole somewhere and they won’t find you until Monday morning.

Try not to go into a construction site. I’m a Superintendant for a big company and a construction site is a very dangerous place especially if it’s fenced off and has signage to keep the public out. You could fall into a hole somewhere and they won’t find you until Monday morning.
So far all they've done is the grading. No fencing, it's right next to a shopping center. Once they finish the dirt work I won't be going back there. 👍

The stock tires are just not going to cut it. Not enough grip on the dirt. Got to run it for about 15 minutes until the pin holding the drive cup came out. Lost both the cup and the screw pin, swapped back to the original front driveshafts for now. I know I put loctite on them but that was a few years ago.

The stock tires are just not going to cut it. Not enough grip on the dirt. Got to run it for about 15 minutes until the pin holding the drive cup came out. Lost both the cup and the screw pin, swapped back to the original front driveshafts for now. I know I put loctite on them but that was a few years ago.
what tires are you planning on going with?

what tires are you planning on going with?
Not sure yet, 17mm something. Trenchers maybe? Those are pretty aggressive for a 1/10 scale, but maybe that's what it needs.

Back