Revamping the Slash 4x4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClean69

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
You had me right up until you said "metal spur gear" :hehe:

That will be a great ESC/motor combo to put in it though! I would definitely get some good rubber on it too! Bring on the pics! :)

the castle will blow the tires up on 3s for sure maybe on 2s get some prolines with the raid rims so you can replace hex hubs
Thanks for the suggestion! I need to get backups for several parts I think. Haha

I'm running the older Castle MambaMaxPro esc and 2400kv motor on mine and on 3s its a beast. The factory 12mm hexes dont hold up long. Either eat the hex or the wheel. I converted to 17mm hexes so I could run Buggy wheel/tire combo's. There's a lot more options out there for 17mm hex stuff.

I'm running the older Castle MambaMaxPro esc and 2400kv motor on mine and on 3s its a beast. The factory 12mm hexes dont hold up long. Either eat the hex or the wheel. I converted to 17mm hexes so I could run Buggy wheel/tire combo's. There's a lot more options out there for 17mm hex stuff.
Going to order some this week. I know it's just a matter of time before the stock ones detonate.

PSA: @Greywolf74 will not approve of this. 😜

20220906_193336.jpg

I was unable to get the motor plate off the original motor. Stripped the hex heads and broke the tip off a cheap hex wrench trying. Thought about using a heat gun but in my head I was thinking that would cause the metal to swell and be even tougher to remove. Ordered a new plate and screws, they were cheap enough but I'm still going to try to get those screws out. Does anyone know if they use red Loctite on them?

I've never owned the 4WD Slash but I wouldnt think so. Not from the factory anyway. I've owned a fair amount of other Traxxas kits and I've never encountered red loctite on any of them. Did you buy the kit used by chance? Maybe a former owner used it? Not sure

I've never owned the 4WD Slash but I wouldnt think so. Not from the factory anyway. I've owned a fair amount of other Traxxas kits and I've never encountered red loctite on any of them. Did you buy the kit used by chance? Maybe a former owner used it? Not sure
It was a used kit, but didn't appear they did much to it. It was a father/son and they got 'bored' with it I'm assuming. It was bone stock, but you never know what someone did to it. I guess the heat gun might loosen up the Loctite, I'll have to use an easy-out to get those hex screws out.
Since it's metal to metal I'm guessing blue thread locker should be used?

Since it's metal to metal I'm guessing blue thread locker should be used?
Correct. Sometimes I'll use orange if I have a problematic grub screw or something but 99% of the time I only use blue and I never personally use red.

Since you have a new motor plate coming, just grind the heads off. But you might end up with metal shavings in your motor, so I'd tape up the motor to protect it first. Then you can use vise grips on the remaining bit of the screw.

Before doing that though, I would put a drop of penetrating oil on each screw just in case corrosion has them locked. Then use a soldering iron to heat them before trying to remove them in case it is loctite holding them in.

Since you have a new motor plate coming, just grind the heads off. But you might end up with metal shavings in your motor, so I'd tape up the motor to protect it first. Then you can use vise grips on the remaining bit of the screw.

Before doing that though, I would put a drop of penetrating oil on each screw just in case corrosion has them locked. Then use a soldering iron to heat them before trying to remove them in case it is loctite holding them in.
Good idea, using the soldering iron. Thanks Breydon! I was trying to avoid the grinding for the exact reason you mentioned.

Good idea, using the soldering iron. Thanks Breydon! I was trying to avoid the grinding for the exact reason you mentioned.
My name's actually Kevin. Breydon is my son 😉

Good luck!

I use a dremel cutting wheel and cut a thin flat slot into the hex head so I can use a flat blade screw driver to remove stripped hexes. Works every time.

My name's actually Kevin. Breydon is my son 😉

Good luck!
I think you were here when I was several years ago. And now that you mentioned that, it sounds familiar. Thanks Kevin!

Back