Restoring Vintage 90s Traxxas Hawk 2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I was definitely planning on having some fun with this one, but not going to destroy it by any means. And now that I know more about, I want to find as many original parts as I can to keep it that way. Will definitely keep posting pics as I get it going.

Let me know if these help.
That is a Hawk 2 (1992-1997) based off of the transmission/motor mount. The Hawk one placed the motor and pinion up higher than the spur where as the Hawk 2 tranny/motor mount is more along the lines of the modern Rustlers transmission today where the motor is mounted much lower.

Hawk 2.JPG

Hawk 1 Chassis
Hawk 1.JPG

Dude. That thing is a museum piece. I would shelf that one and buy a new Rustler to play with if it were me. Did you get a body with it? If so, how is it?
Dam! Yea I’m tempted. I just love the look of these vintage ones because it’s the ones I remember from when I was a kid. It did come with a body, but it’s got a very poopy paint job and stupid stickers on it. Also pretty beat up and cracking. I’ll probably get a new old stock one from eBay and get some original decals for it and give it some decent paint.

IMG_5932.jpeg

IMG_5933.jpeg

Dam! Yea I’m tempted. I just love the look of these vintage ones because it’s the ones I remember from when I was a kid. It did come with a body, but it’s got a very poopy paint job and stupid stickers on it. Also pretty beat up and cracking. I’ll probably get a new old stock one from eBay and get some original decals for it and give it some decent paint.

View attachment 175170

View attachment 175171
Dude. Wtf. That is an awesome friken find. I actually have something similar. I’ll send a photo in a min. I need to get some parts or another of the same car for a parts car. It’s an original team associated rc10t3
The reason that it is in parts is because I was stupid like 2 years ago and put a 3s brushless setup in it and killed the ball diff so I superglued it back together and then I was still running it on 3s and then crashed it and snapped the steering rack and the back hinge pin holders. I then sold the transmission like an idiot and now it just sits while I look for the same car online to use as a parts car. The reason that I want one for a parts car is because this is my dad’s from when he was a kid. He also had a Nitro Hawk but sold it before I was born.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The tie rod in the back connected to the rear hinge pin holder is there because I broke the hinge pin holder and that connected it to the other non broken side.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Dude. Wtf. That is an awesome friken find. I actually have something similar. I’ll send a photo in a min. I need to get some parts or another of the same car for a parts car. It’s an original team associated rc10t3
The reason that it is in parts is because I was stupid like 2 years ago and put a 3s brushless setup in it and killed the ball diff so I superglued it back together and then I was still running it on 3s and then crashed it and snapped the steering rack and the back hinge pin holders. I then sold the transmission like an idiot and now it just sits while I look for the same car online to use as a parts car. The reason that I want one for a parts car is because this is my dad’s from when he was a kid. He also had a Nitro Hawk but sold it before I was born.View attachment 175184View attachment 175186
The tie rod in the back connected to the rear hinge pin holder is there because I broke the hinge pin holder and that connected it to the other non broken side.View attachment 175187
Nice!! Yea I am having some luck finding parts for mine on eBay…I would check there. One of the guys in the thread above suggested messaging the sellers that have already posted parts and see if they have anymore that they haven’t listed yet. That’s actually how I found original tires. I’m hoping to get my dad and brother into the hobby too so it will give up something to do together.
You'll be very lucky if you find parts for that because that is a rarety right there. I would go on ebay and search for that RC. After you do, save the search and set a notification so you will be notified anytime anybody lists a part for it, or a complete RC.

Another tip - if you see anybody selling any part for it, contact them and see if they have anything else for it. Maybe somebody will have some tires or something else they were on the fence about selling.

But finding good tires that old are going to be like finding the holy grail. Most will have long since dryrotted. Every once in awhile though, ebay turns up some goodies.

Great find you have there. That thing is in excellent shape! @STONER RC restored an RC10 gold pan with white plastic arms and such, and he managed to get them looking damn near new. Maybe he can give you some pointers.

Some may disagree with me here, but once you get everything clean, I'd give the plastic a WD40 bath. It can often times refresh old plastic 😉

More info on your RC
https://www.rcscrapyard.net/traxxas-hawk.htm
Thanks for the advice! Got some parts coming in this week and next, tires, bearings, battery so far until I know what else it needs.…I’ll keep updating the thread as I go!

Nice!! Yea I am having some luck finding parts for mine on eBay…I would check there. One of the guys in the thread above suggested messaging the sellers that have already posted parts and see if they have anymore that they haven’t listed yet. That’s actually how I found original tires. I’m hoping to get my dad and brother into the hobby too so it will give up something to do together.

Thanks for the advice! Got some parts coming in this week and next, tires, bearings, battery so far until I know what else it needs.…I’ll keep updating the thread as I go!
Way to go! We can always use more people in the hobby!

Just noticed this while taking off the wheels….

IMG_5939.jpeg

i think that they still make parts for it on their website because i was looking at the legacy and it said that the hawk 2 still has parts support
Can you send a link for that if you can? I can’t find anything in the website

Aww thank you for the info! Here is a pic of the body. Maybe you can tell what mode?

View attachment 175023
WOW!!! That's a dam good find you got there bud. I love restoring older vintage RC's. It's definitely a fun and challenging to say the least hahaha.

Definitely looks like she would clean up nicely. How's the trans on it. How's it roll?
Oh I was definitely planning on having some fun with this one, but not going to destroy it by any means. And now that I know more about, I want to find as many original parts as I can to keep it that way. Will definitely keep posting pics as I get it going.

Let me know if these help
You'll definitely be able to find parts. Won't be cheap but they are out there. How many parts you actually looking for?

Anything specific or any parts in general... I got a bunch of vintage rebuilds. Just take time and lots if looking... happy hunting bud.

Got any questions or need anything let me know.

WOW!!! That's a dam good find you got there bud. I love restoring older vintage RC's. It's definitely a fun and challenging to say the least hahaha.

Definitely looks like she would clean up nicely. How's the trans on it. How's it roll?

You'll definitely be able to find parts. Won't be cheap but they are out there. How many parts you actually looking for?

Anything specific or any parts in general... I got a bunch of vintage rebuilds. Just take time and lots if looking... happy hunting bud.

Got any questions or need anything let me know.
Waiting for the new batteries to be delivered ao I can really test it. I know it turns on, but I didn’t have the remote working then. I already found new original tires and some other basic stuff. I’ll know more of what I need once I get it up and running. Thanks for the info and helping out!

Waiting for the new batteries to be delivered ao I can really test it. I know it turns on, but I didn’t have the remote working then. I already found new original tires and some other basic stuff. I’ll know more of what I need once I get it up and running. Thanks for the info and helping out
No worries. To be honest you really should tear apart the trans. And the whole truck. Before you put power to it.

Make sure there is enough grease and proper alignment of the gears in the trans. Clean all the bearings and drive parts.. Or you could end up destroying it with the first battery. Amd pull of throttle..

The trucks probably been sitting around for a while. And could probably need a good cleaning and restoration before playing with it. You can find out alot of what you need with going over it before you power it up..

Any old truck or car I restore or pick up. I always start with breaking it completely apart. And go over the whole truck/car. Make sure everything is lubed and grease properly...
And a tip with the white plastics. To get them white again or close to white. The best way I found is with hydrogen peroxide.

No worries. To be honest you really should tear apart the trans. And the whole truck. Before you put power to it.

Make sure there is enough grease and proper alignment of the gears in the trans. Clean all the bearings and drive parts.. Or you could end up destroying it with the first battery. Amd pull of throttle..

The trucks probably been sitting around for a while. And could probably need a good cleaning and restoration before playing with it. You can find out alot of what you need with going over it before you power it up..

Any old truck or car I restore or pick up. I always start with breaking it completely apart. And go over the whole truck/car. Make sure everything is lubed and grease properly...
And a tip with the white plastics. To get them white again or close to white. The best way I found is with hydrogen peroxide.
Yea I’ll do that for sure…let me get that thing taken apart and I’ll post some photos. Super new to all of this so I won’t even no if it looks good or bad on the inside.

Just opened up the trans…

IMG_5998.jpeg

IMG_5999.jpeg

Last edited:

Once I get that thing complete my taken apart, what type of grease/lube do I use and how much?

Back