Restoring Vintage 90s Traxxas Hawk 2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The diff is sealed. Most diffs are all sealed.

Here's a link to traxxas and all there older RC. If you want to down load the spec for the truck. Down load hawk or hawk2.
https://traxxas.com/support/PDF-Downloads-Legacy-Models
89 or 92. Either one should work and help with the break down and rebuild. And for any part numbers that you need bud
Sealed? In a sense, yes, but having no o-rings, or gasket, the gear diff won't hold fluid for any good length of time.

Sealed? In a sense, yes, but having no o-rings, or gasket, the gear diff won't hold fluid for any good length of time.
This is the differential right? I want to take it apart and make sure the gears are good and put new fluid.

IMG_6040.jpeg

Got it! And I am good to replace all of the bushings with sealed bearings?
Yeah, that's recommended.

@STONER RC can give you some pointers on brightening up that white plastic. He did a restoration on a vintage kit with white plastic that looked like new when he was done.

Yeah, that's recommended.
My next major question before I start ordering new stuff…the shocks definitely need to be either re-built or replaced. I can get the re-build kit, they reproduce those. But are there modern sets that might still fit? Does it just depend on size? If it’s the same to just replace them all I might just do that. Although I would like to keep it original.

My next major question before I start ordering new stuff…the shocks definitely need to be either re-built or replaced. I can get the re-build kit, they reproduce those. But are there modern sets that might still fit? Does it just depend on size? If it’s the same to just replace them all I might just do that. Although I would like to keep it original.
I am sure some of the other Traxxas shocks would fit it, but I don't know which ones. Do you have calipers handy? You can measure between the mounting holes with the shock extended and compressed and get the two measurements and do some looking around for shocks with those measurements.

?? Who said to out fluid in the diff. It's not that type of diff.

Older diffs didn't use diff lub. Just used grease back in the day. Only the newer diff use diff lube/ oil wt...
Shocks all all about the length. So you can replace then with better shock. With all aluminum bodies. Instead of plastic bodies

?? Who said to out fluid in the diff. It's not that type of diff.

Older diffs didn't use diff lub. Just used grease back in the day. Only the newer diff use diff lube/ oil wt...

Shocks all all about the length. So you can replace then with better shock. With all aluminum bodies. Instead of plastic bodies
So do I just use grease in the diff? No lube? Would this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3944481070...kB1jglNSTK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Also…does the plastic spur gear need any lube at all?

So do I just use grease in the diff? No lube? Would this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3944481070...kB1jglNSTK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Also…does the plastic spur gear need any lube at all?
No, you cannot use any lubes in that diff. It has screws holding the cover on, but there is no seal. So as stated before, you only want to use grease in it because anything liquid will leak out.

Most, if not all marine grease is not safe for plastic. You need SYNTHETIC grease.

And no, don't put anything on the plastic spur.

+ 1 to that
No, you cannot use any lubes in that diff. It has screws holding the cover on, but there is no seal. So as stated before, you only want to use grease in it because anything liquid will leak out.

Most, if not all marine grease is not safe for plastic. You need SYNTHETIC grease.

And no, don't put anything on the plastic spur.

Rustler shocks would work fairly well.

Rustler shocks would work fairly well.
I think the issue might be the length. All 4 are the same length with this one. Looks like the Rustler ones are shorter in the front.

Worked on my Nitro Hawk.

I think the issue might be the length. All 4 are the same length with this one. Looks like the Rustler ones are shorter in the front.
Tmaxx shocks should be the same length as rustler and stampede rear. That's what I run in my rwd traxxas trucks.

Can you measure yours?

This is the type of grease I use in diffs, transmissions, etc. It, or something very similar can be had at AutoZone for just a few bucks and lasts forever.

547866_409531579059635_571879825_n.jpg

Yeah, dont pack it in there. Leave a little room for the grease to move around but you want enough so that the gears are constantly picking up grease and spreading around the gears in the case.

Quick update….finally got all of the parts that I need to start re-building this thing. Except for the new body that I’ll be pairing for it. Will be working on it over the holidays break. I’ll update as I go. Thanks to everyone for the quick responses and advice!!

Back