Restoration Project #10 - Tamiya TGS-R - Ford Focus

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Picked this bad boy up today for USD $40 !! :)

Having a bit of trouble figuring out which model of Tamiya nitro this is. Anyone got an idea which model this is?
Very interesting brakes system on this, it seems flywheel gets gripped by a mechanism unfamiliar to me so far.
Hopefully there is some life left in this engine.
First thing to check pinch after taking piston and sleeve out. If this no good, I usually just give up.

Whos tired of my RESTO threads?

EDIT: Just found out the model, its a Tamiya TGS released in 2003.
https://tamiyabase.com/chassis/278-tgs

tamiya ffocus1.jpg

tamiya ffocus2.jpg

tamiya ffocus3.jpg

tamiya ffocus4.jpg

tamiya ffocus5.jpg

If I was to keep the original rims, since tyres are shot.
Whats the easiest method to remove the super glued rubber off the rims?

Thanks as always Chubaka!

Is it me, or this thing is terribly slow...(not mine btw)

No problem. Nice looking car. Interesting chassis and brake design. I kinda like it.

You gotta remember slippery tires and a .12 engine.

I never associated Tamiya and fast together. 😁

If you are too used to 2 speed, yes, it is slow. You can put in a .15 or .18 engine.

If you are too used to 2 speed, yes, it is slow. You can put in a .15 or .18 engine.
That is true, but it seems geared more for torque rather than speed. Its super slow.
No problem. Nice looking car. Interesting chassis and brake design. I kinda like it.

You gotta remember slippery tires and a .12 engine.

I never associated Tamiya and fast together. 😁

Never owned a Tamiya, this is my first.

No replacement for displacement! 😁

Turns out I can push the piston all the way out trough the cylinder.
Just had a look, piston and liner, conrod and pin.... all up $60 USD, will put it on hold for now, but I can't let it go to the bin.

Last edited:
Well....
Ordered a new piston/sleeve, conrod and pin.... al up I am down $100 usd, paid $40 for the car :)
I figured, the way I run my nitros, it will last me a lifetime once rebuilt.
I have just painted the crank case, cooling head and exhaust with CRC Hot Silver paint.
My first time doing this, I was always wanting to paint those HPI silver cooling heads after Ultrasonic Cleaning, but have refrained in doing so, thinking paint will decrease its cooling efficiency and act as an insulator.
Looks pretty good actually, and paint is very durable and scratch resistant.

enginepaint1.jpg

enginepaint2.jpg

enginepaint3.jpg

I finally got around to putting this car together, it was just sitting on a shelf in pieces all this time.
On my 3rd break in tank, it runs so well. It idles so low, I am sure its gonna shut off, but just keeps chugging.
Manual for this car states that there should be no need to touch the needles from factory settings, and sure, the car fired right up and runs real well, I haven't done any adjustments to it it.
I believe its an OS engine, Tamiya branded.

Anyway, here are some photos.

tamiffocus2.jpg

tamiffocus3.jpg

tamiffocus4.jpg

tamiffocus5.jpg

She turns really tight. :thumbs-up:
Good spot, yes probably the smallest turning radius of all my nitros.
What an idle! Almost doesn't sound like a nitro, until you rev it.
And can you believe this is a factory tune, just as the manual says, do not touch the needles, its all set. I find that quite surprising.
Again, probably best idle of all my nitros. Apparently its a Tamiya branded OS engine.

Found some more appropriate wheels for it now, looks even better.

I have another TGS-R, with a Subaru body, that one is mint, just needed a good dust off. Only broken in, and never used again.

Looks like you wont be seeing any more of nitro restoration from me in the near future, as I have ran out of room to store any more cars, and I think I might have a problem .... :) I will probably sell of them soon, as there is no way I can get to drive them all. Mini Cooper I already sold.

Also, I would like to learn how to fly RC planes, that will be taking most of my time now....

You can see what I mean.

thumbnail_IMG_0057.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0058.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0056.jpg