Replacement Suggestions for a Savage .21?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvickj

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC - HPI Savage .21
Engine - Ofna Hyper .21 8 port

I decided to pull out the RC's after being mothballed for a few years. Figured I could pick up some fuel, charge the batteries and I'd be set. Tried turning over the engine and it barely turns over. Apparently when I stored my Savage I either forgot to run her bone dry or never added any after run oil. Ended up pulling the engine and it was just caked in nitro gunk. I managed to get everything dissembled and its sitting in a small bucket of denatured alcohol.

There is some wear on the rod and piston that has me a little concerned. I have been trying to source parts but it seems this engine has been discontinued. I figured I'll clean it up as best as I can and reassemble it and hopefully it will still run.

Either way I'm still interested to here some suggestions. Nothing super fancy. This is just a rig used for bashing.

Oh yeah...if someone happens to have or know someone who has a gently used Hyper .21 laying around I might be interested in purchasing it.

I agree with "Phins fan" LRP engines have more power. I've got 3 LRP engines and I am satisfied with their power. sample of my LRP buggy with ZR30 spec2 engine
th_SL270150.jpg
click on the photo so that you can watch the video.

Last edited:
The suspension very unique you can't find to other buggies, they are using all ball joint same as the real car, very tough since I buy this one I never change the arms or any parts broken. Only I change clutch, clutch bell and I change the front shock. Very tough car, a solid car.
DSC_0146.jpg
DSC_0146.jpg
DSC_0484.jpg
DSC_0482.jpg
DSC_0471.jpg

Honestly all I saw was the pic of the truck and didnt see the "click on the picture" at the end of it. I was ribbing you on the truck thinking you posted the wrong pic. I'm an idiot!!

A nice looking buggy. What is the make / model?

Will the LRP Z.28R Spec 3 fit in a Savage .21? It looks like it should work being an SG type crank shaft / slide carb / rear port exhaust. I found the specs as far as size but my digital calipers are dead so I can't measure the Hyper at the moment.

Any RCNT sponsor sites I should check for price?

A nice looking buggy. What is the make / model?

Will the LRP Z.28R Spec 3 fit in a Savage .21? It looks like it should work being an SG type crank shaft / slide carb / rear port exhaust. I found the specs as far as size but my digital calipers are dead so I can't measure the Hyper at the moment.

Any RCNT sponsor sites I should check for price?

Yes, it can be fit to savage .21. Try that engine and you will be satisfied, if you really want power put LRP ZR30 SPEC2, but I don't know if the gears of savage 21 can hold the power of the engine. cause so many people using LRP zr30 spec2 on savage X.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

This is a LRP S8BX2 buggy chasis.

Back