Repairing boat damage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! (You could have just said it's the guzonta! Lol!)
I had a few 1:1 boats in the past. Nothing like a hydroplane or anything, but Def built for speed and performance. I'm digging the rc boat thing for sure. I just don't have a good place to run nearby.
Is the new drive dog going to allow for different props, is it damaged and needs replace or is it for some other purpose?

Yep. I increased the size of the drive shaft so I could use a larger prop but i didn't get the prop nuts or drive dogs for the new ones.
The red boat has one but I don't won't to switch it to the other boats so I'm waiting for the ones I ordered.
They do make universal drive dogs to convert to a larger prop without changing the drive shaft. Mine are all a size larger than the stock props now.

I've also just learned that the clutch on the nitro boats works like a slipper clutch and doesn't use shoes or springs like surface vehicles do.

Cool! Again, thanks for the info. So when you set your clutch for the protection that a slipper offers (in surface vehicles) I would imagine damage control is the first concern but do you also set it to control the rpms that the prop sees for a controlled launch? Is it possible to 'over prop' the boat or engine so that your rpms spin it too fast and 'wash out' the prop? (like it spun too fast and lost 'traction')
Btw, if I am bothering you with my questions or if this is all newbie stuff, if you have a link you could direct me to, I'd be interested in reading all about this stuff. Don't mean to pester you or hi-jack your thread.

The slipper clutch can't be adjusted. There's a notch cut out of the crankshaft for the flywheel and then you put the bell on, then the collet that holds the flex shaft and tighten it down tight. I didn't see any shims but I'd imagine you could use them to allow it to slip a little bit but the goal is to keep that prop spinning fast.

Yes, you have to match the out put of power to the size of the prop or you'll get cavitation.
The nitro boats require you to throw it or launch it because the prop is not large enough to push the boat from a sitting position.

We put a Dynamite .32 on an old Kyosho boat and it spun so fast that the stock prop just wouldn't catch at any point. The thing sounded like it was gonna haul ass but it cavitated more than anything. We rigged up a bigger prop but the boat was almost undrivable because it wanted to go so fast, it would launch itself out of the water!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The reason I was researching it is because I'm trying to make the boat lighter and that's an instant improvement if I don't need to use the clutch system.
On this boat. Lighter is better and I'm not worried about damage so I really don't think it's necessary. For now I'm leaving it on but who knows what I might do.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I was thinking that you might be able to get adjustment out of the clutch shoes or springs etc. (thinking of a surface type setup) Def about the rpm's... The exhaust says it all!!!
Cavitation!!! I would have never come up with that term! It was driving me crazy! :celebrate:You Def get the word of the day award!!! Thank you!!!
Yeah, I would imagine there is a fine line between power, rpm's and the right pitch/diameter prop... Much more so than in 1:1 (unless you're running race boats I suppose)
I don't see them on your boats anywhere but can you run trim tabs and if you can, are they controlled by the tx?
I love your reasoning! Too much power? Naw, bigger prop! :hehe: It must have been a blast, just for kicks, to run it!
You may want to seek professional help... 'Who knows what I might do?' That is DEF something I would say!!! (seek help! Lol!!!)
Yeah, there is a LOT that goes into the physics of keeping these things in the water and making them go fast without going airborne. I really get into that stuff... The science behind the speed etc... Again, I do wish I had the location (and the funds) to get into a nasty lil nitro boat!

I got to test them out tonight and it took some time but we got the yellow boat running good and the red boat started to run better but it got dark.

Lmao! Ugh! It's cold!
Thanks for the vid! I was hoping to see them both run together, see how your mods compared. Guess I'll have to wait for the sun! They both look like they were running strong. Any idea what the top speeds are? Tough to tell in video and on a mobile screen too.

They're gonna be racing in the next video.
The Red boat is going to out run the yellow by a little bit because of the larger prop I put on it.
I drilled out the stock strut on it to fit a larger prop shaft and it has a little more kick in the turns for sure.
That yellow boat is my brothers stock boat and not the one I put the new strut on. That one will be on the next video too.

Top speed today was about 30-35 mph

They're going to be running in the 40's once they're dialed in. That's pretty fast for these particular boats and with stock engines.
I think I have a new engine and pipe I'm gonna buy to try out and feel the difference from the stock ones.
The OS .18 I have really gets down but the carb is larger on it and it actually touches the exhaust header and after it gets real hot it starts burping from the hot air.
I gotta fix that somehow. But I'm focusing on one at a time. Lol

Last edited:
Back