Repairing boat damage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris407

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Anyone have any advice on a good way to repair this damage that was incurred during shipping?
I have done some repair work before but not quite as difficult as this looks. I'm not too worried but i figured i'd ask what anyones favorite methods or products are so i dont miss out on anything i'm not aware of. Thanks.
IMG_1760.JPG
IMG_1759.JPG

If you bought it new, I'd start with the retailer.

No. The boats were discontinued about 5 years ago so the repairs are on me. I've got pictures of it before it shipped and the damage wasn't there. I know it happened during shipping but there's really nothing i can do about the damage, but to fix it.
It's no problem though.

Ebay special!

Unless it was sent via an insured courier service? Then you might be able to claim it back through them if you aren't worried about keeping it.

If you're looking to repair it though then I have absolutely no useful advice and wish you good luck :D

If it was a reputable carrier, at least maybe they will help with the cost. Just my :2cents:

Well the seller on Ebay said it was insured and that he'd contact the post office but its been a week and he hasnt got back to me.

Thanks, man. it was USPS and i will contact them. I appreciate that.

It appears that the boat is of balsa wood base structure ,I'm not sure ,but that maybe a gel-coat !
I'm not familure with gel-coat ,there maybe a gel-coat patch out on market or some kind of epoxy.

I would definitely find out first an see what the boat is coated with an find someone who has
knowledge of how to do the repairs.
There might be something on youtube!

It's a painted fiberglass composite hull. There's no wood.
I have the epoxy and patches and was just looking more for techniques.
I'll post up some photos of hiw i repair the hull :)

It's a painted fiberglass composite hull. There's no wood.
I have the epoxy and patches and was just looking more for techniques.
I'll post up some photos of hiw i repair the hull :)

Oh ,the sponsons kind of looked like balsa in the pics!

I'm using my old ipad 2 because my phone got wet a few days ago and i'm still waiting on the replacement. crappy photos!

I believe it's called tiger hair... That's what is used to fix vettes, full size boats etc... I'm no body guy or anything but I'm pretty sure that and an epoxy resin (maybe something by the same company) will give you a pro repair. Its a lot of work from what I remember. I would look at 'Eastwood' for all the supplies, tools, and likely some good tutorals on fixing her right. Good luck!

I patched up the damage with a fiberglass patching kit.
I slopped some poopy paint on after the repairs and I'm gonna fix it by repainting the boat with a different theme.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It looks like you've got the repair method down! It's a very cool boat. I have seen vids of them running... Badass! Please post the new paint job... Or a link. Def vids when youve got it floating again!

image.jpeg
This was the repair before I slopped it up with crappy paint and then sanded her down.
The repairs came out perfect!

Looks like you did an awesome repair. Can't wait to see it with a fresh paint job. Nice work.

Every once in a while I get it right.
This boat is gonna look great once it's painted up again! :thumbs-up:

Back