Registering your drone no longer required

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
dronepicture-800x533.jpg

Today a federal appeals court has struck down the regulation requiring the public to register drones. It seems the US Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia found that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) does not have the authority to regulate so-called "model aircraft."

If it stands, the decision (PDF) means that the public does not have to abide by the FAA requirement established in 2015. The ruling is not yet enforceable, however, as the court gave the FAA seven days (PDF) to consider its legal options.

To legally fly a drone, hobbyists are currently required to pay a $5 fee and dole out their name, home address, and e-mail address. They must display a registration sticker on the drone that includes a number unique to the registered drone.

There was mixed reaction to the ruling today. Some said the registration was needed to provide accountability to dangerous pilots. Others, including a Maryland hobbyist who brought the case, suggested the registration requirement was overzealous regulation.

"As of today, no American has been seriously injured by hobby drones," John Taylor said in an interview with MarketWatch. "They may get cuts or bruises, but look at ATVs and watercraft, where dozens are killed every year. It's all a reaction to new technology. People are afraid of drones because they’re something new."

Options, options
The FAA can abide by the decision or ask the court to reconsider its ruling. It could also appeal to the Supreme Court or ask Congress to legislatively grant the FAA registration authority.

"We are carefully reviewing the US Court of Appeals decision as it relates to drone registrations," the FAA said in a prepared statement. "The FAA put registration and operational regulations in place to ensure that drones are operated in a way that is safe and does not pose security and privacy threats. We are in the process of considering our options and response to the decision."

Ahead of Friday's ruling, the FAA told the appeals court that "it would threaten the safety of the national airspace system" if the court nullified the registration requirement.

Drone enthusiasts have registered more than 550,000 unmanned aircraft with the FAA. Registration was required to be updated every three years. Maximum penalties for failing to comply included three years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The decision does not affect requirements that commercial drone operators abide by, as that class of drone operator already worked under different rules. Those regulations included the need to take a test to get a license to fly.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...s-requirement-that-hobbyists-register-drones/

Yes! Finally a wise decision made by bureaucrats who wish to control every aspect of our lives.
Besides, it was tough to get it off the ground with that big license plate bolted to the back of it.

Yes! Finally a wise decision made by bureaucrats who wish to control every aspect of our lives.
Besides, it was tough to get it off the ground with that big license plate bolted to the back of it.
And the 3 in. deep coat of wax... lol

What do you do when you get a bug embedded in all that wax?

They will just regulate the frequencies we use or some other such thing. They regulate the use of drones for commercial use? What a pile of poop! Trying to keep the helicopter and plane pilots working at a WAY higher fee then it's worth! It's like blockbuster stores... When it's over, it's over guys... Deal with it!

The problem is that the FAA is prevented from regulating "model aircraft" by congress. Someone overstepped their bounds. There was a long and loud discussion of this on the AMA website when this was first suggested by the FAA.

Lol! Someone in the government overstepped their bounds?!?!?! :eek: I almost can't believe it!!!

And the end decision turns out to be just exactly what I thought at the beginning when they came out and insisted that everyone register because it is the law! And while we're at it would you please list all the guns that you own that are not registered too, thank you. Ya, I'll do that just about as fast as I did my required drone licence. (not going to happen!)

I was listening to NPR news and wouldn't you know it, they were talking about this issue. They were asking about what someone could do if there was a drone flying over their house... The answer was that if they are registered, the radio equipment is outfitted with a signature similar to an isp so the signature could be traced to the owner. I find fault with that but I am also not sure I understood all the info that I read about it. I also read it some time ago. Since I am not an owner or operator, it wasn't super high on my list to research further... I am curious if this is accurate tho... Anyone???
What I found more interesting was this comment...
The police complained that they were having trouble enforcing this because of the deregulation... Personally, I can't imagine that local police forces are all out scrambling to get the latest and greatest drone radio frequency readers and antennas etc. anyways. What REALLY caught me was that they would also have a difficult time catching the operator because they would be hidden from view... "Isn't that the point of them anyways?" !!!??? REALLY?!?!?! Is this honestly the mainstream public view of drones and operators??? To put on camo and hike into the woods to get x-rated views of ppl's rooftops??? They did make a clear separation between the use a of commercial and private drones tho.
Again, while I am not an owner operator not super well versed with the laws, process etc, I am not the person for this job, it seems important to me that the public is made aware that most all owners of drones are NOT creepy ppl with sweaty palms trying to catch a naughty glimps of Mrs. Jones and her 78 year old boobcicles!
RTR made them very appealing to The general public and for those who are less than handy.The purposes of these are for race as well as for the personal enjoyment of remote controlled flight, and/or for a new way to get into photography with a platform, that is in general, far easier to learn than flying a plane (with WAY better photography) or helicopter... Obviously when planes and helis were the only options, none of this drama was happening in the first place but clearly, they were for entertainment mostly. Typical of Americans to find a way to spin ANYTHING and spice it with drama for another left and right viewpoint! I am gonna spend some time looking for a link to the whole segment (i didn't catch the whole thing) and see if I can link it for us here. This is a link to some of the drone info on NPR and is Def worth a look if they have your interest at all.
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...199129/recipe-for-new-sports-just-add-a-drone

I don't fly mine above people's houses and I do understand that it would be an invasion of privacy. If I catch one hovering above my wife out by the pool, I will probably see to it that it is disabled (into little pieces) and does not return to it's owner. I stay out in the field and I expect others to do the same. It only takes one person to mess it up for everyone else. Other than that, they are great for videos and getting unique shots of things we wouldn't normally be able to photograph. It's obvious that the FAA needs to restrict flying drones in the air space around the airports but it's none of their business what I do around my own property.

I think it's a kind of 'wavy fine line' in this case... I do believe in ppls right to privacy and the bottom line is that if it's not regulated by the faa or whoever, then even the govt will be able to fly right up to your bedroom window to see what you're watching on tv... I also believe that you should be within legal rights to disable a drone that IS invading your privacy. This includes a govt manned unit that is without legally served papers for the 'search' of your property and airspace SPECIFIED in said served papers. However, there is a difference between invaded privacy and simply flying over a property... And so the wavy line waves deeper...
I DO NOT BELIEVE the faa or others should be involved with the regulations other than that of restricted airspace, flight altitude etc... Common sense stuff IMO. In much the same way that I have the right to do what I see fit on my property (within limits) I feel the operation of my drone or otherwise should be my business... PERIOD!