Reducing shock travel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NurturantQuasar

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I’m getting back into nitro rc So I got a 2wd nitro slash and a bunch other of other crap ordered I’m I'm basically turning it from a sct to a low stiff 2wd open wheeled hot rod road car. Now obviously I want to slam it to the floor and reduce the ride height as much as possible.

Back when my 4wd slash was still put together I used about an inch some nitro fuel line off my old t maxx and tore apart my shocks and added it onto the shock shaft right underneath the piston basically reducing the amount the shock could decompress reducing ride height improving handling. Well that was fine initially till the fuel line in all the shocks completely disintegrated, contaminated my shock oil and no longer did it’s job. My question is anyone know of something I can use other than nitro fuel line that won’t disintegrate?

Last edited:
How old was the fuel line. Never heard or fuel line. Breaking down due to silacone oil.. sh*t the fuel line is made of silacone.. you could use Plastic spacers..

Tap some new holes in the a-arms and tilt the shocks out toward the tires more. Thats what I did with my 100+MPH Rustler.

How old was the fuel line. Never heard or fuel line. Breaking down due to silacone oil.. sh*t the fuel line is made of silacone.. you could use Plastic spacers..
Yeah, I don't see how they could deteriorate in shock oil unless it was rubber tubing instead of silicone, and regular oil instead of silicone shock oil used.

Cut to length brass tubing is what my RCs use for shock limiters.

Cautionary note. A challenge getting them all the exact same length using a mini hand saw. A hobby miter box clamped in a vise helps. But still, comparing assembled shock lengths and adjusting the threaded shaft eyelets slightly is recommended prior to re-installing on the chassis.

One advantage in using thin wall brass tubing is that the limiter does not mask the holes in the shock piston.

Good luck. Cheers. AC

Last edited:
Cut to length brass tubing is what my RCs use for shock limiters.

Cautionary note. A challenge getting them all the exact same length using a mini hand saw. A hobby miter box clamped in a vise helps. But still, comparing assembled shock lengths and adjusting the threaded shaft eyelets slightly is recommended prior to re-installing on the chassis.

One advantage in using thin wall brass tubing is that the limiter does not mask the holes in the shock piston.

Good luck. Cheers. AC
That’s a good idea I’ll probably do that.

Yeah, I don't see how they could deteriorate in shock oil unless it was rubber tubing instead of silicone, and regular oil instead of silicone shock oil used.
I’m not sure I clipped it off my old t un cared for t maxx I had that was beyond saving. I didn’t think it would either but I eventually noticed my slash was sitting higher than before and took the shocks apart and found the rubber tubing was gone except for like one or two very small chunks. Like it just turned to dust.

That’s a good idea I’ll probably do that.

I’m not sure I clipped it off my old t un cared for t maxx I had that was beyond saving. I didn’t think it would either but I eventually noticed my slash was sitting higher than before and took the shocks apart and found the rubber tubing was gone except for like one or two very small chunks. Like it just turned to dust.
Ooohh you cut it rite off the truck. Did you happen to clean/wash it out before installing in shock?

Ok I'm going to be real picky,
are you a racer? do you still race?
i think both of those question will have No as answer. so..

use nitro fuel line like before.. and don't use silicon shock oil.
to be honest, i don't use shock oil in my shocks, instead i use castor oil.
it has a decent thickness to it and you control how much to use.
i also always have it on hand and in stock because i store my engines with it.

anyways that's just my little hack.

I’m getting back into nitro rc So I got a 2wd nitro slash and a bunch other of other crap ordered I’m I'm basically turning it from a sct to a low stiff 2wd open wheeled hot rod road car. Now obviously I want to slam it to the floor and reduce the ride height as much as possible.

Back when my 4wd slash was still put together I used about an inch some nitro fuel line off my old t maxx and tore apart my shocks and added it onto the shock shaft right underneath the piston basically reducing the amount the shock could decompress reducing ride height improving handling. Well that was fine initially till the fuel line in all the shocks completely disintegrated, contaminated my shock oil and no longer did it’s job. My question is anyone know of something I can use other than nitro fuel line that won’t disintegrate?
I know old thread, but small stiff springs will not gum up and also soften the bump-stop vs fuel tubing that really doesn't squish. With a small stiff spring outside of the shock, on the piston rod the spring will act as a bump-stop and cushion the stop as well instead of the shock body stopping abruptly.
Fuel line tubing I always put on the piston rod outside of the body. Then I started using stiff small springs to soften the bump and also rebound some more softly.

Back