Redcat Blackout XTE 1/10 scale Motor upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mxracer629

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hey guys I recently posted about having an issue with my ESC acting up as soon as I plugged in my battery. Got that issue fixed by buying a new ESC. Also got a fan to cool the motor. Well.. the brushed motor is fried as well and smells awful. I would like to upgrade to a 540 brushless motor. I see 10.5T, 9T, all kinds of different ones. How do I know which one to go with? T I assume stands for teeth but what does it mean exactly?

I've done alot of dumb things with an xte (and an xbe). They're light, and handle pretty well for the $$, but durability will be a challenge.
A 540 sized brushless motor somewhere around 3600kv should work in that rig, but be careful of too much power- stay at 2s. That drivetrain can't handle 3s for long. Don't try for too much speed. There are other rigs to look at if you want to go fast.

I've done alot of dumb things with an xte (and an xbe). They're light, and handle pretty well for the $$, but durability will be a challenge.
A 540 sized brushless motor somewhere around 3600kv should work in that rig, but be careful of too much power- stay at 2s. That drivetrain can't handle 3s for long. Don't try for too much speed. There are other rigs to look at if you want to go fast.
Honestly I'm not trying to get it to do anything stupid. I dont even jump it. Mainly something for the dogs to chase through the grass. Lol. I do run the 2s 7.4v 5000mah but dont plan on the 3s upgrade. Do I need to upgrade my pinion gear or anything when going to a brushless motor?

Honestly I'm not trying to get it to do anything stupid. I dont even jump it. Mainly something for the dogs to chase through the grass. Lol. I do run the 2s 7.4v 5000mah but dont plan on the 3s upgrade. Do I need to upgrade my pinion gear or anything when going to a brushless motor?
Depends on how the new motor kv compares with your old motor

Back