Read this before you fly your drone

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So you just bought your first multi-rotor and you're ready to go downtown and start recording things, maybe the college football game, or the burning building downtown, or just wherever you want to... well DON'T!

Before you even put the batteries in your new mutli-rotor / drone be sure you read this website front to back:
http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

For many of you, the Recreational Use section will serve you well:

What are the safety guidelines for small unmanned aircraft systems recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your small unmanned aircraft systems in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
  • Fly no closer than two nautical miles from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft systems.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission

Wouldn't hurt to print off this handy PDF and keep it on your pit bag with you just as a friendly reminder.

I registered mine with the FFA 1st thing, then I flew it in my room (4ft setting) ?

Um, no to all of that. I know of no birds, butterflies, or bees that follow those rules.
And I am freer than all of them.

Anarchists do not obey strangers. By definition, those who obey, are slaves.

Here's the new rule by authority of Dysnomia, Goddess of Air War
The skies are a commons for all to enjoy.
I license you to move objects through the air. Every time you move you do it.
As long as you hurt no one, you're golden End of FAQ. Have phun. Watch your 6 because I'm on it.

Στέκομαι ενάντια στους εχθρούς της ελευθερίας.

Last edited:
Back