RC18 540 1:10th scale motor mount

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makakoa808

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Working On a 540 Motor Mount for the RC18
The problem I'm having is the Pinion gear is really far from the spur gear.. So I need a big Pinion gear...
here are some pics
540rc18a.jpg

540rc18b.jpg

540rc18c.jpg

Yeah its gonna go kinda fast.. lol..
But if anyone know of a pinion gear that might fit and where to get it, would be much appreciated.

If you end up having trouble finding a pinion large enough you could always build your motor mount to also mount an idler gear that would pick up both the spur and pinion.

If you end up having trouble finding a pinion large enough you could always build your motor mount to also mount an idler gear that would pick up both the spur and pinion.

Know of any part that I can retro fit on as an idler gear?

Hmmmm... not sure how I would mount it.

could you put a smaller pinion on the 540 and then mount the idler on the motor mount

All I've got to say is "DANG!!!"

you should start working on adapters to convert nitros to electric and i bet they would sell and you'd make some money.. start out with the traxxas .15 series.

you should start working on adapters to convert nitros to electric and i bet they would sell and you'd make some money.. start out with the traxxas .15 series.

Sounds like a great idea, but I dont know much about nitro... Maybe for my next project...

but right now

The biggest pinnion gear I could find with a 48 pitch was a 36 tooth. Even with the 60t spur the two gear are still very far apart. I will need to redo or rethink the mount.

I'm still not sure about putting a third gear... I'm going to see if I can mount the motor closer..

I just ordered these... Some one sent me a link yesterday
Robinson Racing Pinion Gear 47 tooth 48 pitch
RR4748.jpg

Project is moving forward...

Ok so I got the large pinion gear in the mail and now I have a good pinion and spur gear mesh.

I switch out the motor from the traxxas stinger motor to the Kyosho 540 G20.

The 540 1:10th scale motor is mounted on the rc18 and ready to go
Here is a pic more pics coming soon.
540RC18g.jpg

Last edited:
are you going to sell the mount, this means that i could use 1/10th brushless on my rc18t, what kind if fast will that be?

are you going to sell the mount, this means that i could use 1/10th brushless on my rc18t, what kind if fast will that be?

I dont like how you have to trim some parts to make it fit. But thats all part of the hobby I guess. If people wanted to buy it most likely I would start selling it. And yes this would work on a rc18t or rc18mt.

So when are we gonna see a video of this thing in action?

Soon Just need to find some time maybe will do one this weekend.

A few More Pics of the Prefabricated 540 RC18 Motor Mount

I havent ran her yet.. I want to do a video of the first run! That way I know if anything flys off and where it landed.. lol

Is there anything supporting the back of the motor? Just curious on how much flex in the mount you'll have. Nice work, man. That pinion puts a smile on my face every time I look at it. She's gonna move. With that big of a pinion, I keep thinking heat. But in such a small rig,... I'm super curious for the maiden voyage. Good luck, hopefully it doesn't go back in time!

Ok here are a couple more pics and a very short raw video of the tires ballooning I figure I owe you guys something.. lol..
I was able to mount the battery and the electronics but no on the road run time yet.. she aint pretty but she got lots of power...
540RC18k.jpg

540RC18n.jpg

Here is a link to the video.. Hope fully I can do some speed run videos soon.
Click here for video.

Back