RC Randomy Stops

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyBooty

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
So I have this 4wd rc drift car that i put some touring grip tires and it is pretty quick... for about 10 seconds, after that is starts to slow down and after that it engages its brakes and throttle no longer works, only steering, this thing is barely used, maybe 3 runs its whole life but I'm recharging battery right noe but I'm just posting this to see if it could be a more severe problem.
Thanks

Check your motor and ESC when it stops. If you can't put your finger on them and hold it there, it may be overheating. Or if you have an infrared temp gun, make sure the electronics are staying below 160°F.

Check to see that your esc is set up for the type of battery you are using.

Check to see that your esc is set up for the type of battery you are using.
I mean I would hope so, it came with the car
Check your motor and ESC when it stops. If you can't put your finger on them and hold it there, it may be overheating. Or if you have an infrared temp gun, make sure the electronics are staying below 160°F.
As I stated, they run for about 10 seconds then stops so I would hope its not overheating that fast, Congrats on Rig Of The Month BTW!

I mean I would hope so, it came with the car

As I stated, they run for about 10 seconds then stops so I would hope its not overheating that fast, Congrats on Rig Of The Month BTW!
My cen f450 is 2s capable. The first Gen was 3s. They had alot of fried escs and even fires. Cen Racing dropped it down to 2s and called it a day. Point is companies do cut corners and make mistakes sometimes.

Are you using NiMh batteries? If so and the ESC has LVC enabled then you need to disable the LVC on the ESC.
Yea its a 2000Mah 7.4v Nimh battery, it came with the car

2Ah isn't very much capacity, is this a 1/10 car or smaller scale?

If it's a mini then chances are you may have overheated the motor and it may need to be replaced.

What RC are we talking about here? I am wondering if adding grippy tires to an RC not built to handle them didn't burn your motor up as Bill mentioned. The cheap brushed motors in some of the off-brand Chinese stuff can burn up fairly easily.

2Ah isn't very much capacity, is this a 1/10 car or smaller scale?

If it's a mini then chances are you may have overheated the motor and it may need to be replaced.
Its the nanda nrx-10 I was talking about a while ago, I finally got around to getting a transmitter and reciever
What RC are we talking about here? I am wondering if adding grippy tires to an RC not built to handle them didn't burn your motor up as Bill mentioned. The cheap brushed motors in some of the off-brand Chinese stuff can burn up fairly easily.
Its a exceed rc madspeed drift king but It was rebranded from a nanda nrx-10 as bill told me a while back

Dead NIMH battery if it's been sitting? Like WickedFog said, it could be geared for drift tires (almost no resistance) so, once you put some load on the system with grippy tires, the motor OR the battery OR the ESC gives up. Hard to say over the internet.

Yeah that NRX-10 would go through 2Ah in about 2-3 min of hard driving with high grip tires.

I would double check to see if the ESC has LVC enabled, you may have got away with it with the drift tires not putting much load, but high grip rubber will pull some serious current.

I would encourage you to consider verifying if the ESC has LVC and if so, then I would upgrade to a 5Ah LiPo pack which would get you around 10 min of run time on high grip hard driving before LVC kicks in with the stock brushed 27T motor.

Yeah that NRX-10 would go through 2Ah in about 2-3 min of hard driving with high grip tires.

I would double check to see if the ESC has LVC enabled, you may have got away with it with the drift tires not putting much load, but high grip rubber will pull some serious current.

I would encourage you to consider verifying if the ESC has LVC and if so, then I would upgrade to a 5Ah LiPo pack which would get you around 10 min of run time on high grip hard driving before LVC kicks in with the stock brushed 27T motor.
Thanks as always bill

Back