RC Motor Shims/Washers ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_T

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Guys,,,
Sorry kind of new working on electric motors. I have a new Cessna 182 that has a 5055-500kv motor and it has a little movement in the end of shaft at prop.
Was getting some vibration from the start, but had a prop strike ( not me lol ) and broke 2 of the 3 props. ( they are individual props screw on to a hub ). Installed new ones and lots of vibration, Guys at the field said the shaft had a little movement and that it shouldn't. SO,,lol
They said order a one piece 3 bladed prop and a better nose cone assy and i did,not here yet.
In research, people say the bearings go bad that cause shaft movement, so even though its a new plane i thought maybe the prop strike did the bearings in, So i took it apart and measured bearing and ordered new one ( Pkg of 30 lol ,,oh well ).
I have "3" tiny washer/shims? i found pulling things apart. My question ( i know finally lol ) is where do they go. i think probably on the shaft before the smaller bearing goes on ?
Any advice would be helpful,,,i would of just bought a new motor but there is no parts available for the plane yet,,so its try and fix situation

Thanks in advance

sounds to me like you bent the entire shaft . shims more than likely will not work if you have motor bearing check those also.

sounds to me like you bent the entire shaft . shims more than likely will not work if you have motor bearing check those also.
Thanks
No the shaft is perfect
Shims I think were in front of the shaft before the bearing I just wasn’t sure
Shaft movement is hardly noticeable but someone told me it should be zero

try new shims then.. after takin out 2 props that can do a big wobble

Last edited:
Back