RC Car/Truck transmitter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTuna

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all....
I have been browsing transmitters and could use some help/recommendations please. I have all electric cars, all bone stock. Brands I have are: Traxxas, Arrma, Losi and Associated. I'm a novice with the transmitter world so please excuse any wrong terms I use. I'm looking for a reliable, user friendly, easy to bind and change settings without taking the body off and getting the manual out and pressing and holding buttons for each car. So what I'm looking for is a transmitter that will do the following:
1. Probably with a screen.
2. Menu for set ups.
3. Able to make setting changes from the trans without taking the body off and all that.
4. Lipo battery reader/status with low battery alarm.
In the price range of $200.00 - $250.00 or less.
If you have other features that you think I should have on the trans please let me know. I plan on keeping this trans for as long as possible so looking for reliability and durability. I don't want to make a costly mistake. I thank you all for your input.
Charlie B

PS...I tried the search feature for the forum but came back "no results" twice.
Charlie B

Hey, Charlie. Are you bashing or racing? The list you put up indicates perhaps both? Knowing which is your preference will help in making specific recommendations.

That said, my radio collection includes what I consider a high-end system, a mid-price system, and two entry level R-T-R systems. Lately my go-to is to grab the R-T-R's. Occasionally grab the mid-price when I want the extra assurance of increased range-although that in itself is not necessarily a guarantee. Seldom use the high-end system.

There are numerous and very informative reviews of radio systems on You Tube. I've set through many of them and came away convinced one does not have to spend a lot of money on a radio system to get assured comms. Know this answer is very general in nature. I hesitate to recommend any specific platform because of all the variables involved in making a choice. Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

Hey ahr43.thanks. If I upgrade my radio from the RTR's will the new upgrade bind with all my receivers or do I have to buy all the same receivers for the different brands to use one radio for all the cars?
Charlie B

Charlie, if I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can bind multiple receivers to one transmitter (aka controller)? Generally, the manufacturer will have a compatibility listing of which receivers the controller will bind to within their brand. You are wanting to achieve one radio to rule them all? A challenging task. If one is both racing and bashing, two systems may be more desirable.

My high-end system had three model receivers bound to it using, of course, different model numbers for each unique application. My mid-range also bound three models. On the mid-range, I had a variety of receivers as the manu came out with newer types. They were all listed as compatible or back-fit, so no problemo. [ Edit: Consider also the price of multiple receivers when contemplating a radio system purchase. Some receivers are pricey to buy too many. Others are reasonable in cost. ]

R-T-R radio systems as a general rule will not operate multiple models off one controller.

Hope this helps. 'AC'

Last edited:
Hey ahr43....
Yeah I was trying to say that. An upgraded radio that would bind to all my car brands receivers. Sorry for the hard to understand question the way I put it. So I guess I research a radio and see if it will be compatible with traxxas, arrma, losi and Associated receivers. Is that correct?
Sorry for being a pia but I want to get the right radio and not be disappointed. I was looking at the Futaba PV3 FHSS. Seems reasonably priced and alot of features. I'm going to research it and see what I can find out.
Thanks again buddy.
Charlie B

Companies that sell transmitters also want to sell you receivers. Therefore, they strive to make their products incompatible with other brand products.

Unless you are racing and need that extra advantage of speed and response, a quality, low cost radio such as Flysky and Radiolink will be more than sufficient. These radios have many programmable functions and have memories for up to around 10 vehicles.
I have 2 Flysky GT series, one of which is over 10 years old and still works great. They start at a measly $40 and the receivers are only about $10-$15 each. Both of these economy brands have long, proven reputations for reliability.

Last edited:
Thanks Xraycer.....I'll research that aspect too.
Charlie B

Hey Charlie. No problem. I don't always interpret a question correctly, just making sure.

I don't recommend trying to match your projected Futaba purchase to different makes of receiver. Best to stay within a manufacturer's brand to assure compatibility. Bear in mind, the only link between you and having control of your car or truck is the technology of a radio link. A second and additional receivers for the PV3 are $70 a pop. A minimum, you are looking at an additional expense of $210 to cover all your models.

'AC'

Hey Charlie. No problem. I don't always interpret a question correctly, just making sure.

I don't recommend trying to match your projected Futaba purchase to different makes of receiver. Best to stay within a manufacturer's brand to assure compatibility. Bear in mind, the only link between you and having control of your car or truck is the technology of a radio link. A second and additional receivers for the PV3 are $70 a pop. A minimum, you are looking at an additional expense of $210 to cover all your models.

'AC'
Yeah....alot of money. Too much for this guy. I'll keep digging. Thanks ahr43.
Charlie B

Hey Xraycer...
This looks like a good option. I checked them out, great reviews. I see they offer a waterproof version of the receiver. You ever use the waterproof version?
Charlie B

Hey Xraycer...
This looks like a good option. I checked them out, great reviews. I see they offer a waterproof version of the receiver. You ever use the waterproof version?
Charlie B
No, I wasn't aware that they had a wp version.
Like I had said, this brand has been around for quite some time, and has proven itself. There is also all sorts of hacks that could be done to this particular transmitter on YouTube.

The ones with the white label are the regular receivers. The waterproof ones have a light blue label. I was looking at them on Amazon.
Charlie

Last year, I picked up this one, just because I like that purdy orange 😃
0730211709a.jpg