Radio choices

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have been looking for a nice 3 channel radio for my Tmaxx. I found the Spektrum DX3s. Very impressive looking radio but the price tag is up there too. Then I found the DX2s which I saw for $99 new with a Rx. That price tag looks a lot better. One thing to consider though, I am eventually going to get an Ipod touch to use while working, Should I just go with the traxxas radio?

I just realized the DX2s is a 2 channel radio, so that's out of the question. It probably is cheaper going the traxxas route, considering I plan on getting an Ipod touch for other reasons. How will the traxxas set up compare to the spektrum set up?

I want a radio that has telemetry with the capability to watch temps as your driving around. Any kind of timer, just if I happen to race with other people. and then the obvious, 2.4Ghz and 3 channel.

Last edited:
The traxxas wont hold a candle to the spektrum in terms of quality. Onboard telelmetry sucks and is overrated for the most part. All you need is a decent quality palm sized temp gun and your gtg. If you're not racing look at a Flysky GT3b or GT3C for bashing theyre great.

I know telemetry isn't absolutely necessary but I really like the idea of being able to watch temps all the time. and having some sort of race timer would be awesome. And I would have a little more peace of mind when letting someone else drive the rc car. I do already have a temp gun, it is very handy.

Problem with the on-board temp gauges is they are not very accurate at all. They get you within 20 degrees but that can make the difference between an aggressive tune and an over-temp.

I got an MIP onboard digital temp gauge on mine and it reads within 2 degrees of my gun. But i have also heard that the telemetry on board temp gauges are very inaccurate. Sure keeping an eye on temps all the time would be convenient but its just as easy and fast to run the rig up to your feet and hit the head with a temp gun for accuracy.

I have heard they aren't perfect as far as accuracy as well. I guess I really don't need telemetry because now that I think about it even if I don't have to drive it up to check the temp real quick, I'll have to drive it up and check the fuel levels.

I have been looking at the flysky too. I'll probably go that route, they seem pretty nice while still being fairly inexpensive. and the Rxs are cheap too.

Thanks guys.

Yeah IDK about the MIP one but I've heard a lot of people say that the Traxxas and Spektrum telemetry is fairly inaccurate.

The MIP is just as bad. I had one and it was always +/- 20-25 degrees from what my temp gun said. Not only that I never knew which way so I was more worried so I eventually ditched it.

Well I've had my mip one for a month now and it still reads within 2degrees of my gun. Maybe i got lucky with mine.